*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Breakfast Ultimatum
  2. Uma Ferro
  3. Introducing the Five
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2171124-The-Fathouse-Five/cid/2559314-Breakfast-Ultimatum
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Comedy · #2171124
Five ladies getting large and gaining weight in a cramped townhouse.
This choice: She’s been forced to actually get a job.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #3

Breakfast Ultimatum

    by: Elusive Wordsmith
For once, Audrey had been effective at laying down the law about Uma’s layabout tendencies. She had gotten her college roommate at breakfast, the most important meal of the day.

Breakfast was the most leisurely meal for the jobless, teamless ex-athlete, as Uma was usually free to meander about the kitchen of the townhouse. She took items from the fridge and cupboards, having concoctions from spicy omlettes to horchata poured cereal to nutella sandwiches to pinching Reagan’s private stash of toaster pastries as her options on any given day.

Uma had still been in her pajamas, lavender pieces, while putting the finishing touches on peanut butter and blueberry jam topped frozen waffles. Audrey, bleary eyed and disheveled, appeared in the kitchen in time to Uma’s next waffles popping out of the toaster.

“Mornin’ blondie,” Uma said affectionately. “Damn girl you don’t look so hot.”

Audrey, who could have the countenance of bear just woken from hibernation, grumbled lowly. “I barely got any sleep last night. And I have to pull a double shift today.”

“Ouch. Because I had the best dream last night. Can’t recall most of it but I had some good sleep.” Sat at the breakfast nook, Uma prepared her silverware to cut into her waffles.

The knife and fork met formica table as Audrey picked up the plate, looking mightily steamed.

“Hey!” Uma called out, “those are my waffles!”

“You mean our waffles,” Audrey fumed, having some scary eyes behind her glasses. “Waffles that belong to those of us that actually tow the mark around here.”

“What’s got your panties in a bunch this morning?” Uma asked, reaching out for the plate. However she didn’t want to get up from that sweet, comfortable seat where she had sat just right in the breakfast nook.

Audrey had the height advantage in this position, raising the plate well above Uma’s outstretched hand. “It’s you, Uma! When’s the last time you actually coughed up your share of the rent?”

“In case you haven’t noticed the job market sucks right now,” Uma replied, annoyed. Cripes! It didn’t seem like Audrey was going to let this point go today.

“That’s what you’ve been saying for two years,” Audrey fumed. “Ixchel is the only one who gets her share of the rent due on time. I’m bustin’ my butt from two jobs just to keep the rest of us afloat!”

“Phoebe and Reagan don’t pay rent,” Uma countered, solely focused on the taste of her topped waffles that she had been denied.

“The twins going to college gets us a discount. Marginally, I know, but every little bit helps. Trust me, if I find either of them are abusing that trust they’ll be the next ones either out looking for a job or kicked out on their asses!”

Uma was stunned. “You can’t kick me out! We’ve been besties since college, Audrey.”

“Please don’t make me do it,” Audrey sighed. It was difficult for her to confront Uma like this but she had no other choice left. “We have to support each other here or we’re not going to make it. But we need an additional stream of income and frankly, you’ve become a bit of a mooch lately.”

Uma exhaled sharply, defeated. “Fine. But would you let me eat the damn waffles.”

Audrey kept a firm grip on the plate. “If you promise to have at least three possible jobs you could apply for by the end of the day.

“Geez, okay okay,” Uma replied sourly. The bad taste left in her mouth even spoiled the taste of the waffles somewhat once she finally got Audrey to return the plate. The oldest Durant sister hadn’t gone too far before she shoved that morning’s classifieds under Uma’s nose for “breakfast reading material.”

Uma supposed she had been taking advantage of the cushy situation being a roommate of the townhouse had afforded her. When she was pursuing athletics full time she hadn’t developed much in the way of other job skills. It wasn’t a hopeless prospect to find work, only an annoying one. She made not have much experience but Uma knew to play to her strengths.

Before noontime Uma had some possible job options that she had found from the paper and online. She better make Audrey believe she was earning income fast or her blonde bestie might actually go through with kicking her out. That's why she wanted to look good before going out to interviews. A good first impression was what employers looked for, right?
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Elusive Wordsmith (UN: raccoon6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elusive Wordsmith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2171124-The-Fathouse-Five/cid/2559314-Breakfast-Ultimatum