*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. The Beginning
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1481560-Pathfinder-Chronicles-Genesis/cid/628977-The-Beginning
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Sci-fi · #1481560
You are Captain Jack Gunn of the 9th star fleet.The future of humanity rests in your hands
Chapter #1

The Beginning

    by: AverageJack
The date is 2144. Location: the Mizar sector in the Gytor system. You are Captain Jack Gunn, the youngest field Captain in the 110th expeditionary division of the 9th star fleet serving under Admiral Zane.

The 9th fleet has been fighting the Miras-Guhl non-stop for the past three weeks, and your defences are starting to give in. Commanders from the Helios and Regade sectors have reported that their lines have been breached. Within the next few hours the 9th fleet will fall – the outcome is inevitable.

“Captain Gunn, report to the bridge immediately, Captain Gunn”, you hear the female voice over the intercom system. Jumping up from the semi-circle of control consoles and electronic displays, you turn your command and control station over to your second in command.

“Keep an eye on quadrants E9 and E10, Ace. They love slipping in through there – I dispatched two drones to those sectors a few minutes ago and your readings should be clear.”

Running through the corridors of the star destroyer “America”, you cannot help but wonder why the commanders in the bridge would want to see you now. What could be more important than the recognisance and field intelligence work you have been doing for the past 72 hours. Rubbing your red eyes, you are suddenly reminded of how long it has been since you slept.

The scanner beeps as the door to the bridge opens, having read the identification chip in your chest. “Captain Gunn,” the electronic voice announces as you step onto the bridge.

A semi-circle of large portholes line the front and sides of the bridge. Approximately forty personnel members are frantically busy with their consoles. Turning around in his command chair in the centre of the room, the penetrating green eyes of Admiral Zane looks straight at you.

In his early sixties, his age is betrayed by his grey temples and the crows-feet on the sides of his eyes. A respected commander who is decorated with the highest honours of the Old-Earth Alliance, Zane has your respect, and that of the five thousand men serving on the “America”.

Standing up, Zane indicates you to follow him and leads you to his private office on the portside of the bridge. With the door closing behind you he gets straight to the point.

“Captain Gunn, what I am about to tell you could be the salvation for the Old-Earth Alliance. Never before have we come so close to victory, and never before have we come so close to defeat.”

Lighting a cigar, Zane continues.

“As you know the 9th fleet is on the verge of destruction. However, our mission has not been in vain. Two days ago a stealth-drone has reported on an extraordinary reading from the Xelesor system. We believe that the signal was emitted from a material on a planet in this system.”

Blowing a plume of smoke in the air, he continues. “Tracking this signal and recovering the material that emits it, has been our goal from the onset of this mission – being discovered and attacked by the Miras-Guhl has not.
“Captain Gunn, our scientists tell us that this material has the potential to nullify the need for the mineral Pylene since it can generate limitless amounts of energy. It can thereby end the decade long war with the Miras-Guhl, the war that has raged for what we thought was the last remaining energy source.”

Zane sits down, giving you time to digest the information he had just shared. “Furthermore, an energy source of this nature, will give us the power to dominate over the Miras-Guhl and end their realm of slavery, greed and their blood lust.”

“Now I suppose you wonder what your role is in all of this,” Zane says easily whilst putting out his cigar.

“We have four vessels on this ship that can potentially make this journey to the source of the signal. Under the circumstances we will launch all four within the hour with the sole mission to recover the material, and to return it to New-Earth. I say within the hour, because we might not be around much longer after that.”

“Captain, I tell you this because you will be tasked with commanding one of these vessels - your callsign will be Pathfinder seven-zero. Three other commanders are en route to receive the same orders. However, since you are here now, you get to choose which of the three vessels you would like to take on this mission.”

For a brief moment Zane pauses. Taking the gap, you blurt out, “Why me, sir?”
“Because you are one of few commanders with the necessary training and experience to complete this mission,” Zane responds. “And besides, most of the best commanders of the 9th fleet have been killed in the past week.”

Never one to mince words, Zane’s response leaves you feeling slightly insulted.

“So here are your choices Captain,” Zane continues flicking a switch on his personal computer.

“Choice one: The HR-122 Black Panther stealth ship. This baby is rigged with the latest and greatest technology. It is almost invisible and your flight should be quick and easy. Three problems though – firstly, you won’t be able to make it all the way there and back to New-Earth without stopping for Pylene. Secondly, you won’t be able to carry a full assault crew. You will get an Orion Commando, a science and medical officer and yourself. And finally, if you need to mine this mineral from the planet’s surface, you will have to improvise because the ship carries limited surface exploration equipment. This bird can get you there and back in one piece, but getting fuel, tracking the mineral and mining the mineral might be difficult.

Your pilot will be Lieutenant Phil “Buck” Rodgers. He finished top of his class in the Space Force Academy. As you know, the Orion Commando is elite Special Forces, and he will add valuable abilities to your unit. His name is Commander Spengler. He is typical Special Forces – quiet and reserved. His record is blank. All classified...you decide.”

“Choice two: The F-204 Scythe long range interceptor. Also a good choice. This bird is rigged to fight, but has limited stealth and cloaking abilities. With it, you will however get a full assault crew including six space marines, two Tiger-Cat mechanised units and two heavy-assault Rhino’s. Together with this you will have a science officer, a medical officer, an engineer and off course yourself. This choice will possibly involve contact with the enemy and you might have to search around before tracking the mineral. Also once you find it, mining might be somewhat difficult.

You will be able to pilot this ship yourself, but your co-pilot will be an ex-marine named Sergeant Sam Rico. A tough old bastard with hard earned experience. Turned to piloting when he received a mechanized leg after losing his in a fire fight. Good crew – solid choice. But be sure your balls are strapped on tight if you take this option.”

“Choice three: The CLK-800 Juggernaut prospector. Not actually a military vehicle. The advantage is that the Miras-Guhl might take it as one of their own and ignore you all together. It has no stealth or cloaking abilities, but it has a fully staffed laboratory with mineral detection add-ons and off course a full spectrum of mining equipment and operators. If you use the Juggernaut, you will find the mineral and mine it quickly and easily. You will also have three construction units. Also, you will be working under a disguise. However, being discovered is not an option since you won’t even be able to destroy a light scout...well maybe a scout.

You will need a pilot for this one. He is an ex-convict named Betty. You will have to decide for yourself if you can trust him. He might however prove resourceful in avoiding the Miras-Guhl since he has been avoiding the authorities for most of his life.”

“Choice four: The Freelancer 2200. It has numerous empty bays and pylons, a large cargo hold and a two Cyclone Interstellar engines, giving it long range abilities. Again, you will be posing as non-military. Its cargo hold is filled with 100 metric tons of Pylene, which you can either trade or use. As your crew you will have a master tradesman, a language expert, an engineer and an expert navigator. You will be able to pilot the ship yourself.

The master tradesman is known as Lord Freemen and he is very good at what he does. He is said to be slightly...well, let’s say mischievous.”
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 AverageJack (UN: averagejack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AverageJack has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1481560-Pathfinder-Chronicles-Genesis/cid/628977-The-Beginning