*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328419-That-Moment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2328419
Flash Fiction
That Moment

Looking out the window of the plane, I was feeling better. A nervous flyer, me. I know thousands of people fly daily, it’s like taking the bus to them, I guess. To me, it’s like being launched in a rocket, hoping it doesn’t run out of fuel before you hit the moon. And, yes, I always close my eyes when we land.

Right then, we were over clouds. I’m comfortable with clouds, which doesn’t even make sense to me. If you got dropped over a cloud you would fall right through till you hit land, as fast as if no clouds! But I guess at least you wouldn’t have to see the ‘down.’ Yes, I’m a little afraid of heights in general, too… Plus, I imagine falling through clouds still wouldn’t be a comfortable fall. We all know what clouds are made of. And, that they couldn’t even slow us down, let alone stop us from falling.

Suddenly those comfort giving clouds parted. I wasn’t ready, I had my shade all the way up! As I sat there, a bit frozen, I suddenly became completely aware of how high above the earth we actually were, I actually hadn’t “looked out” on purpose for years. But this time, instead of scared silly, I found myself captivated.

Suddenly, where we were was completely washed out of my thoughts by the beautiful, and incredible view of the planet below us. I actually leaned closer to the window to see more.

A child sitting in front of me said, “Mommy! Look, are those cows?” I looked, and they were cows! A whole herd of them, in a gigantic field of green. But, then the clouds blocked us again.

However, that moment, those precious minutes; that changed MY view of the world, forever.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328419-That-Moment