*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328363-Beyond-Our-Own-Horizons
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Psychology · #2328363
Two minds, two realities: a poignant exploration of subjective truth.
To my dear readers,

Do you know of subjective experience and awareness? Subjective experience refers to the uniquely personal and subjective nature of our perceptions, shaped by our individual experiences, biases, and beliefs. Awareness, in turn, is the recognition of these limitations, allowing us to consider alternative perspectives.

This morning I watched something quite lovely and yet disappointing: two individuals sat across from each other at the coffee shop, their perspectives worlds apart. Person A believed they were completely and utterly correct, while Person B believed that, though their perspectives differed, they could understand the other's opinion.

I watched how their experiences prompted their opinions, and Person B spoke gleefully, trying to understand why Person A couldn't see beyond themselves an inch. Still, Person B gave Person A the respect of the benefit of the doubt. Person A, however, couldn't see why Person B felt that way and, despite Person B's openness, held their opinion close to their chest, unable to see beyond their own views. I almost felt like a third wheel, completely ignored and imperceptible.

As the conversation unfolded, I found they'd never agree and continued to watch the scene. I observed that Person B's openness exposed their willingness to accept someone else's thoughts, other than their own, while Person A's straight-laced will displayed their sparsely spread awareness. "While I disagree with your opinion, I can respect and understand it," Person B said. Person A continued, unmoved; Person B said no more.

When Person A was finally through, I left through the doors, not a minute too soon. I realized that this was exactly a direct example of subjective experience and awareness. Person B's awareness of their own subjective lens allowed them to consider alternative perspectives, while Person A's limited awareness constrained their understanding. It makes me wonder: which one am I, Person A or Person B? It also makes me wonder which one you are. Does it make you wonder too.
© Copyright 2024 Strychnine (lyla619 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328363-Beyond-Our-Own-Horizons