*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328151-It-Depends-on-the-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2328151
Flash Fiction
It Depends on the Day

“Loosen your hand,” Dad said to Alex.

Alex loosened his hand, but then the bow was so heavy, it dropped. “Sorry Dad!”

It’s OK. I’ve dropped a bow in my day.

“I’ll try again,” Alex said.

“OK, you practice, I’ll get my coffee.”

Inside, Jane was in the kitchen. I’m making you guys cookies. How’s it going?”

“Slow… he’s a bit small for the bow.”

“Why didn’t you get him a smaller one, kid size?”

“They make those?”

“Yes… when did you start using one?”

“Ah…”

“No wonder you had to buy new bows; you never did this before did you!”

“I watched!”

“How can you teach him something when you don’t even know yourself?”

“I read about it! He wanted to try so badly! I didn’t want him to think I wasn’t athletic.”

“Well, you’re not… he’s gonna figure it out eventually.”

“But, I’m trying, for him!”

“Oh Honey, that’s nice. But you could learn together! Wouldn’t that be more fun?”

“Wow, yes! You know, I always wanted a brother! I just didn’t expect him to be twenty-eight years younger than me…”

Alex rushed in. “Dad, I tried to shoot an arrow but I can’t get it to stick on the bow!”

“It won’t kiddo, you have to hold it. Listen I think we should sign up for lessons together. It’s been a long time since I picked up a bow. They have lessons at Anchor’s.

“That would be cool!” Alex rushed back out.

“Nice line about how long since you picked up a bow…”

“Well, he doesn’t need to know it was in a store, and I dropped it because it was so heavy!”

“Sometimes I wonder if we have a kid, or I have two kids…” Mom said.

Dad smiled, “I guess it depends on the day…”
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328151-It-Depends-on-the-Day