*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327521-Awake
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2327521
Flash Fiction
Awake

I couldn’t sleep. I’d been lying in bed for almost two hours. The lights were off, I had my fluffy feather pillow, a mountain of blankets, including my favorite quilt. I’d spent a goodly amount of time removing, and rearranging it all, yet, still, I was as wide awake as if it was nine am.

I started going over the day to see if something was bothering me. Then went on to the week, the month, the whole last year… also in the other direction, the future. I could not think of one thing in either direction that was off, or bothersome. I was comfortable, I loved my apartment, I loved my job, I made plenty of money, I was healthy as a horse! I could not think of even one thing that was lacking.

Getting up finally, feeling like I was giving up, I stood looking out the window. I really liked this apartment. Such a lovely view of the neighborhood. As I stood there, I saw a small shadow slowly walking by. It was a cat. As I watched it, for lack of anything better to do, I saw it sniffing here and there.

Suddenly remembering it was the dead of night, this must be a stray! I jumped up to see if I had any food around, I could put some out for it.

I brought it out minutes later. It must have smelled good; the skinny cat came right over. He didn’t seem the least bit afraid, just hungry! He ate every bit! I patted his soft fur, and when I got up to go, he followed me in. And, I let him. I’d suddenly realized what was keeping me awake.

I had plenty of “things,” I just needed to add something else, someone to love.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327521-Awake