*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327488-Forest-For-The-Trees
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2327488
A wizard and his minion have to run for their lives. 300 words
Forest For The Trees


Iain, a member of the Banned Witches and Warlocks League had to make a run for it! His familiar, a small giant named Stalwart, insisted on coming too.

“Where are we going, Master?” he said as they packed trucks and boxes in preparation for leaving their home.

“Somewhere where the Magical Beings Eradication Police (MBEP) can’t find us.”

“Can we do that?”

“Of course, my boy!”

“But how?” The little giant had a worried frown between his eyes.

“Have you heard of the idea of hiding in plain sight?” Iain asked as he sent the luggage on ahead.

“I don’t think so,” his minion replied.

“Well, that’s what we’ll be doing.

Without another word, Iain jumped on his broom and said:

“Let’s go!”

After a long journey, Iain pointed to a clearing below. When Stalwart met him on the ground, he looked doubtful. Then the wizard began to chant and conjure.

Trees with large thorns sprang up. When the pair were sufficiently protected, Iain turned himself into an oak tree in the center. Stalwart himself became the biggest tree toad the world had ever seen!

“Nobody will find us here.”

They just got hidden, when a large troop of black garbed soldiers wearing the insignia of the MBEP, entered the magic forest. As they travelled through, the spiny trees crowded in around them. No matter how they hacked and cut, the forest grew thicker.

Finally disheartened, the enemy turned and ran. The wizard and his familiar decided to be safe and stay in their present disguises for a week or so. After that time, they automatically returned to their original forms. Happily, they stayed in the spiny woods from then on. Iain became a master woodcutter and carver, while Stalwart sang sweetly at night when coaxed.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327488-Forest-For-The-Trees