*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327353-Van-Life-Driving-Through-A-Sudden-Storm
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Pets · #2327353
Picking up the necessities, I find a new member to join our little party.
Van life has its joys and its challenges.

I had made it as far as Skykomish, Washington when the snow started to fall. It was light at first so I didn't think that much about it. I stopped into a small market to pick up some basic supplies. After I had packed everything away I took Kayto for a bit of a walk and romp through an open space dusted with freshly fallen snow. We both needed to stretch our legs before heading for our campsite for the night. I calculated several more hours.

As we rounded a collection of garbage bins at the far end of the park, Kayto's head popped up to listen. He moved closer to the bins and my curiosity had me following.

I was about to call him back when I heard it.

A tiny meowing sound coming from inside the dumpster.

I opened the lid as Kayto danced at my feet. Inside with its wee head sticking out of a plastic bag I found a wee kitten. Without worrying about any stench or grunge I scooped up the wee ball of fur. She was shivering. I unzipped my coat and tucked her inside to get warm. Poor thing. Who would abandon a tiny kitten.

"Come, Kayto." I called as I headed back across the park to our van. "Let's find some warm spot for this wee little tyke."

Back in the van I made a nest of blankets on the passenger seat. With the kitten tucked in and Kayto keeping watch, I dipped back into the store for some kitten food, a litter box and litter. I'd figure on the best place to put it when I got back to the van.

The snow was starting to come down a bit heavier now, so I figured we had best get a move on. The kitten seemed content to sleep and Kayto hunkered down on his mat between us making sure to keep watch.

"With all this snow I doubt we'll have any campfire tonight, Kayto."

I was grateful I had bought extra wood for the little mini wood burner I had installed just a month ago. We'd need it tonight.

The drive through the pass was slower and more treacherous than I had anticipated. At a small pull off from the highway, Kayto and I got out to adjust my wheel pressure to make them grip a little better. Kayto enjoyed sniffing along the edge while I made quick work of the job. The temperature had fallen dramatically and I was looking forward to bunking in on the other side of the Steven's pass and getting our campfire going.

Once we made it to the other side of the pass, I was able to pull off into a larger car park area. Before letting Kayto out I checked on the kitten, then texted my friends to let them know where I was and that I was safe.

This storm was not in the forecast. It had blown in with the cold front and become much bigger than anticipated. But we were safe.

Kayto and I had a chance to stretch our legs and play in the building snow. It felt safe under the lights of the rest area. The snow kept hurling itself though the air, dancing on the wind. At least I could make out the inky blackness around us now that we had stopped. I could feel the tension of the drive ease from my shoulders. That drive had been pretty sketchy, but we'd made it. We'd push on in the light of the day tomorrow.

Heading back into the van, I got the wood fire going. The crackle and pop was calming and the blazing warmth was welcome and soothing. After all that driving in heavy snow I was all too happy to get into my jammies and curl up with a good book.

I fed Kayto. The kitten was beginning to explore the space of her new home. I gave her a little food and water. Showed her where her cat box was. She was a bright little thing.

"What should we call you, huh?" I said as I picked up her tiny, frail body. She rubbed her nose against my chin and purred, I smiled. "Lucky Lou" Her purr rumbled as she bumped my chin again.

"Lucky Lou it is."

I set her on my bed and she sniffed out all the corners before setting down beside me as I read.

"I think we're all pretty lucky tonight, eh Kayto. That's quite the storm. He yawned and stretched himself out in his cubby. It was not long before he was snoring softly.

By morning the cold front finally moved through and the sun was sparkling off the freshly fallen snow.

Word Count = 801.


Notes
© Copyright 2024 💙 Carly - aka Joan Watson (carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327353-Van-Life-Driving-Through-A-Sudden-Storm