*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323208-The-Wrong-Road
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2323208
Flash Fiction
The Wrong Road?

“What time is it?” Sandy asked.

“It’s three minutes after the time it was the last time you asked me… you’re driving me crazy!” answered her sister, Janet.

“Well, I don’t want to be late! Jimmy Jenson’s gonna be there!”

“If you don’t stop being crazy, you will still get there on time, unfortunately, you’ll be dead!!!”

“I’m sorry. I’m really nervous.”

“I can tell… Hey…”

“What?”

“Lincoln Street is blocked off.

“Is there a detour?”

“I don’t see anything. Look up the map on your phone. See how we can get around this.” Minutes later: “I think we took the wrong road.”

“It looked right…” Sandy said, “it was supposed to connect to Route 2.”

“Look, there’s a gas station, we can stop and ask.”

“But we’ll be even later!”

“Well, if we get more lost, we won’t get there at all! Go in and ask!”

Five minutes went by, Janet was starting to worry, Sandy still hadn’t come out. Finally, she got out of the car and went in.

She could see Sandy talking to the guy at the register. Walking up she heard them laugh.

“So,” she said, as she got close, “did you find it?” Then she suddenly saw Sandy’s face. She and the clerk, a very cute guy about Sandy’s age, were laughing about something.

“What?” the clerk asked, suddenly realizing she was talking to them. “What were you looking for?” He turned; Sandy suddenly went pale.”

“Chippie Bars?” Janet said, quickly.

When they got back to the car, five minutes later and a “See you at school Monday!” from the clerk to Sandy, Janet started laughing.

“Thank you!” said Sandy.

“All in a sister’s job description,” said Janet, who actually ended up being the bride’s maid at their wedding, six years later.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323208-The-Wrong-Road