*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815010-Jacob-and-Leeyas-Chapter-1
by Jay
Rated: 18+ · Other · Dark · #1815010
Jacob and Leeyas and get in a relationship. On the surface everything looks right
Jacob & Leeyas
J. Marshall


Chapter 1

November 2009

Depending on the observer, everything about this girl could’ve been considered deceptive.
She had the most beautiful hands. Soft, small, well-manicured and feminine, but strong enough to keep his wrist secure as if in a vice, and though her body was slick with sweat from her head to her toes, her scent was still as pleasant to him as if she’d just stepped out the shower or had been wearing perfume. She’d successfully executed her submission despite a frame substantially smaller than that of her opponent’s, had struggled like hell to do so, but it was becoming apparent she was going to dislocate his shoulder anyway. In the couple’s basement the lights flickered as a storm raged on outside as if to tell the mood of this moment—a moment that had taken over fifteen minutes of fighting to lead up to.
“Leeyas baby, I got it,” Jacob said uneasily. He swallowed and cleared his throat, then tapped her thigh three times with his free hand. He wasn’t used to this. “I got it. Okay, baby. Let up. Come on. Let up.”
Leeyas had her legs locked around his waist, and had his shoulder pulled back to the breaking (dislocating) point. Jacob had never felt pain like this before, had never had his shoulder dislocated. Had surely never pictured it happening quite like this.
Leeyas was angry. Leeyas was somewhat aroused. But, most of all, Leeyas was tired and wanted to end this so she could cook dinner for the two of them. She didn’t want to hurt him, but wasn’t yet ready to stop.
“I love you,” she breathed into Jacob’s ear, pressed her lips against the dark flesh of his neck and kissed him, as she’d done countless times during an embrace or after they’d made love. “I’m sorry.” Ignoring Jacob’s protests, she moved her head away from him, arched her back, and used her weight to perform a move she’d mastered in a very short time.
Jacob grimaced violently. “No, ba—”
And a shot of pain ripped through Jacob’s arm like fire, as his shoulder was dislocated by his girlfriend of nearly six years. Jacob let out a choked cry before his voice caught like a mouse in a mousetrap. Leeyas freed him and he rolled to his side, groaning loudly. He buried his face in the carpet, feeling breathless, feeling stunned, drool running helplessly from his mouth. Leeyas lay next to him, sucking in air, looking up at the ceiling, an expression of relief on her face. Her hands rested contentedly on her stomach.
“Bitch!” Jacob shouted.
“Your bitch sexy” she whispered and got gradually to her knees. She clapped him on the back, got to her feet, and strolled toward the hall that led to the stairs, her sweats and tank top sodden with sweat from her and Jacob’s tussle. If Jacob hadn’t been in so much pain he would’ve complimented her on the sexy way her clothes were plastered to her body.
“Fuck!” Jacob grunted.
Jacob closed his eyes tightly, and kept them that way for a few moments, almost as if he hoped to blink the pain away. He wondered how long it’d be before it faded. His shoulder still throbbed like crazy.
Maybe you could’ve thought of a more gentle way to dislocate my arm, he thought wildly. But the thought didn’t make much sense to him. It was like asking someone to find a more gentle way to stab him with a sword.
Images flashed before him, some light and some dark, like getting a quick view of quality and time-worn photos from years past. His tussle with Leeyas replaying in his mind. Each punch, each slap, each kick, each attempted submission all the way to the point of her fully executed one.
Jesus, she’s strong, Jacob thought. I’ve known for some time but nowhere near as much as I know now. Yep, nowhere near as much as I know tonight.
Through his pained thoughts he could hear Leeyas faint movements upstairs as she fixed their food. They rotated weeks and it was her week to cook. He could envision her moving around as if the day had just been business as usual. Fun, but uneventful.
A few minutes later, he was up on his knees, with the hand of his dislocated arm pressed open against the wall. The light was still flickering, Leeyas was still moving around one floor above him (messing with the pots and pans from the sound of it), and the throb was still unbearable. Gradually, the pain was becoming more manageable though. He waited a few minutes.
Jacob used the wall, pushing his open hand against it, and attempted to push his shoulder back in, grimaced, gulped, and tried again.
“Fuck.”
Why does this hurt so much?
Because your arm is dislocated, his thought answered him back.
He could do a lot of things but putting his own shoulder back in wasn’t one of them.
Twenty more minutes passed, and by this time Jacob was still in the downstairs den, sitting on the floor with his head down, contemplating another attempt at fixing his shoulder. The rain had stopped, the light had gone out. Upstairs, Leeyas movements had ceased.
Jacob took a deep breath. It sounded rather loud in the vast space. If he was just a notch weaker he would’ve cried. God knew Leeyas wasn’t afraid to show tears when she was deeply hurt. But she was a woman. It said nothing against her level of strength. He felt that it did against him.
Jacob was pissed at Leeyas. However, the pain she’d just caused him had given him an intense erection. She was good at doing that. It wasn’t the first time—far from—that Leeyas had turned him on by causing him a pain. Maybe she knew that it turned him on. Still, he was pissed.
Jacob looked up, ready to get to his feet, and get to a lighted area to carefully continue trying to fix his arm.
He hadn’t heard her come down. Could barely make out her pretty dark eyes and brown skin in the darkness as she knelt right in front of him, looking at him with what seemed amusement.
“Dinner’s ready in five,” she said, and grabbed the hand of his injured arm and put it on his stomach, so it was at a right angle.
Jacob jumped. “What are you doing?”
She caressed his arm for a moment. “Just shut up. Let me help you.”
At first Jacob stiffened, something that was automatic.
“Relax Jake.” She giggled. “Stop being a bitch.”
Jacob rolled his eyes, but allowed Leeyas move his hand off his stomach, rotate it the other way then back toward his stomach and repeat the motion, making Jacob grimace. Then his shoulder suddenly popped back in, making Jacob grunt.
“Oh man,” Jacob moaned, feeling the pain wash away almost instantly like water draining down a sink. His arm trembled. “Oh man.”
“Surprised you needed me,” Leeyas said, and slapped him gently on the cheek. She was still smiling. “You okay?”
Jacob locked eyes with her the best that he could in the dark. “Like you give a shit Leeyas?”
Leeyas touched his chin gently, tugged playfully at some of the stubble there. “Don’t say that to me baby. Seriously. How bad you trying to get fucked up tonight?”
Jacob glowered at that. Leeyas smile broadened. She acted like her smile could always work on him. And this time it did again. It only took a moment for Jacob to smile back.
“Get your ass up boy,” Leeyas said, taking his two big hands in hers, leaning back and using her body weight to help him up. When he was steadily on his feet, she put her arm around his waist and led him toward the stairs.
An urge to shove her briefly came over him, but was gone the next second. Instead, Jacob kissed the soft flesh of her cheek.
He sighed, and reluctantly said, “You did good babe. You did good.” He chuckled. “You fucking bitch.”
Leeyas held him tighter.

December 2003

“Get me drunk Mr. bartender, make an exception.”
The blonde man in a black polo looked up at her, wiping his hands with a towel for what may have been the tenth time since she’d been here. His blue eyes fixed on hers, and like the rest, they didn’t keep contact long. He looked away just as she’d expected, his eyes touching at the scene behind her. It made her smile. Her looks seemed to always have that effect.
She was back in the club and it was loud. The dance floor was packed with many people too young to drink and a bunch well above the drinking limit to match. The twenty one and up crowd wouldn’t have been here if the selection of women wasn’t so top-notch, and Leeyas was well aware of this. That’s why she was here. With more of a selection she didn’t have as many guys bothering her. Still, seeing how most considered her a dime if not higher, many guys found their way to her anyway. Like bees to a hive. And as usual she had to be ready to send them on their way.
Leeyas noticed the bartender was actually considering her question. This was unusual. Every other bartender became immediately uncomfortable, politely refused and either moved away or kindly offered her a Red Bull on the house. But this was only her fourth time here, so she couldn’t consider his response that unusual.
“You remember this,” the bartender finally answered, producing a blue twenty one and up wristband, and reaching forward and fastening it to her wrist with plump hands. “Say nothing. Seriously.”
Leeyas smiled appreciatively at him. The bartender blushed dully.
“What can I get you?” he asked.
“Corona.”
“You got it.” An ice cold bottle of Corona, the top removed, stood on the black countertop before her ten seconds later. The bartender’s eyes touched on something behind her.
“Here comes another,” he said, wiping his hands with the towel another time as he moved away.
“Here we go again,” Leeyas said, and quickly chugged half the beer. She gave a small burp, a closed hand over her mouth. She was already tipsy off liquor from home—liquor her cousins helped her get when she’d asked—and she’d driven here with a buzz, had been pulled over, gotten out of a ticket (and possibly a DUI) and had come in good and ready for another night of dissing all the ugly and good looking men that made their way over to her.
Now why did she do this? When she’d first asked herself this question she wasn’t sure, and then the answer suddenly seemed so clear to her. Men were her entertainment and disposable. She just didn’t like men. At least for the most part. And the ones that dressed well and seemed to have some game, turned out to be weak as well. She didn’t like weak men the most.
The man who took a seat next to her was twenty-three or twenty four, she thought, wore a yellow cap backwards along with a yellow shirt and khaki pants. All too big for him. If it wasn’t for his face, she’d have thought he was younger than her.
“You look too young to be drinking cutie.” The man had his stool turned toward her and had a wide grin plastered on his face. What could’ve been so amusing about looking too young to drink, Leeyas wondered.
Leeyas took a sip of her Corona, not looking at him. She put her bottle on the counter and eyed the little gold bubbles as they floated to the top. “Well you look too bright to see clearly. That’s a blinding ass shirt.”
The man seemed to hesitate briefly. His expression remained virtually unchanged though. “Come on, really, how old are you?”
“Probably older than you, you fucking lemonhead.”
The bartender cleared his throat, and Leeyas glanced at him. Was he holding in a chuckle? The thought made Leeyas grin.
The man blinked and cleared his throat much like the bartender, though Leeyas guessed his reason was different. “Okay. I’m confused. Did I—did I do something to piss you off?” the man asked. His hands went to his hat, and adjusted it slightly, Leeyas guessed as a type of self-conscious gesture.
Leeyas smiled and finished her beer. She looked at the man. “No, you did something to make my night actually. You got up and left.” Leeyas winked. “Have a good night.”
Leeyas looked away and silence followed for what seemed a long time. The beat of the music went on in the background, the club goers still active on the dancefloor. Leeyas guessed there was someone looking in her direction right now, ready to come over. Lemonhead was already forgotten, and she was bracing for the next.
“Man, whatever,” Lemonhead finally said, got up from the stool, and shuffled away.
The bartender watched the man go. “Kind of harsh, don’t you think?” he asked. “He seemed nice.”
“Yeah, well I’m not,” Leeyas said coolly. She chuckled, the beer to her lips. The bartender smiled, shook his head. A second later he walked away to help a customer.
Leeyas had on her black dress, down just below her knees, and snug in just the right areas. She knew she looked good. She knew all eyes were on her. It made it easier to be prepared.
Lemonhead was the third guy she’d refused tonight, and she was ready for another. But until that man arrived she would drink some more. Proceed to get her buzz on. She finished her Corona and ordered another, took a sip, and began to ponder why she had come here, and why she kept spending her nights out alone. Did she not have any friends?
Yes, pretty much Leeyas dear, she thought. You have no friends. And it’s your own damn fault.
But it was how she wanted it.
“What is up sexy,” the fourth guy said, arriving like clockwork, and taking a seat in the same stool Lemonhead had been in earlier. This guy was better dressed, she thought. He wore a white long sleeved shirt, black jeans, and white sneakers. So far the best of the night.
Leeyas flashed him a smile, and went back to her beer.
The man ordered a beer for himself. “Tell me why you’re here alone tonight,” he said, wasting no time. He sipped from his bottle. “Where are your friends at?”
“I don’t have any friends,” Leeyas said, candidly.
The man seemed to consider this, and though Leeyas had spoken in a cold, matter-of-fact tone, he wasn’t thrown in the slightest.
“Well, let me be your first,” the man said, and extended his hand. “Timothy.”
Leeyas rolled her eyes, a shook his hand without turning in her stool, or even looking at him. “Lisa.”
Leeyas watched as the bartender smiled, being the only one in the club that knew her real name.
“Lisa’s a pretty name,” Timothy said. “Actually one of my favorite names for a girl.”
“It’s not that pretty.”
“Well, I think it is.”
No hesitation, Leeyas thought. He’s good.
“Tell me Lisa,” Timothy went on, grinning a little. “What do you do?”
Leeyas sipped more Corona. “I’m a stripper,” Leeyas said, taking another shot at throwing him off. The man was impressive no doubt. But she couldn’t say she liked him. However, she couldn’t say she disliked him either. She still had to feel him out. To her it was like trying on a new pair of shoes.
“Daddy Shack down the street,” Timothy said, grinning. “It’s actually a good spot.”
“You go to the strip club, a lot.”
“I go, I’m a guy.” He shrugged. “What can you do?”
“Not go.”
“Nothing wrong with the strip club.”
“True. If you’re not getting your dick wet.”
And just like that Timothy’s armor was pierced. For a moment Leeyas thought she may not have been able to do that, but she was practiced in this. She was damn good and she knew it.
“I get my dick wet plenty,” Timothy replied.
A moment of silence followed and then Leeyas burst out laughing, put her head down on her arm and tried to stifle it. When she got her laughter under control she regarded Timothy. She was no longer smiling.
“Well,” she said, “go get your dick wet plenty more. You’ll just have to do it away from here buddy.”
A heavy sigh. “Whatever.” He flipped her off. “You’re a bitch girl. Just letting you know. Probably too young to be drinking too. Fake I.D ass, stuck up cunt.”
Leeyas waved him off and looked away, indicating she wanted another beer. “Oh shut up and go get your dick wet plenty.” And then as an afterthought. “Fucking posing faggot.”
“On the house for the entertainment,” the bartender said a moment later, changing her empty Corona bottle for another.
Leeyas snickered. “He was doing good for a little while.”
“Yeah.” The bartender seemed to consider something for a moment. He leaned toward her. “Let me take you out,” he said, his blue eyes looking into her dark brown ones.
The man’s sudden courage took Leeyas back a step. She blinked, her beer forgotten in her small hand.
“Huh?”
“Seriously. You’re young. I know the nightlife well. I’ll show you something.”
Leeyas didn’t need much time to think, gave a closed-lipped smile, and slowly shook her head. The bartender shrugged.
“Figure I’d give it a try,” he said, and before he strolled away, she reached out and grabbed his wrist.
“At least I let you off easy though, right? You’re not a bad guy.”
The bartender nodded. “I do my best,” he said, and moved toward a man in a cowboy hat at the far end of the bar.
Not a bad guy, Leeyas mind spoke to her. That’s the problem, isn’t it?
The thought was foreign to her, though it made perfect sense. But it didn’t mean that she agreed with it. She thought such an idea was bullshit.
“Can I ask you a question,” the bartender said fifteen minutes later, when she was just about to order another beer. She was holding her liquor well tonight, though she was pleasantly drunk. How long would it last though?
“Yes,” Leeyas said. “But what you really meant is could you ask me two questions?”
The bartender paused at that for a moment, and chuckled. “Oh, I get it. Funny.”
“Shoot Mr. Bartender.”
Seeming to take a moment to think about how he was going to phrase his question, he asked, “Do you come here looking for a guy?”
Leeyas shook her head. “No.”
“Really? Why do you come here then?”
Leeyas sighed. Rested her chin on one hand. “Boredom.”
The bartender looked at a cup he was polishing with a white towel. “You been in many relationships,” he asked a bit nervously.
“Two very brief ones. Kid shit.”
The bartender seemed amused by that. “How old are you exactly?”
Leeyas chuckled. “Guess.”
“Well, it could only be one of three ages if you’re in here and under twenty one, so…you got another one sweetie.”
The bartender turned to the next man approaching the stool.
God, I wish a girl would just occupy that stool already, Leeyas thought. Or at least a guy that’s too much of a puss to say anything.
Dissing guys was fun for her but Leeyas was becoming irritated. It made her wonder why she couldn’t do something else to satisfy her boredom. Maybe bowl or go to a movie. She guessed she just wanted to get out of her apartment, and was less into the other options. Now she almost wished she’d stayed home.
The nameless man now stood next to her. “Hi.”
“Hey,” Leeyas said, and sipped her beer. She put the beer down, made it a point not to regard the man so he’d leave. Whoever it was wore all black, and was well built. She could see this out the corner of her eye.
The man pushed the stool away, remaining on his feet. He was silent for a moment, evidently watching her.
“How drunk are you and why Corona,” he finally asked, one arm resting on the counter.
Strange combination of questions, Leeyas thought. What makes him think I’m drunk? And if I am drunk it’s none of his business.
“So I’m a drunk now, huh?”
“An under aged one too. Now why Corona?”
Well not looking at him was out the window. Leeyas turned to the man, feeling put off. She would’ve laughed if she hadn’t been caught off guard like she had. “What,” she said, her brow furrowed.
This man, whoever he was, had half a smirk on his face. As she’d already known he was black, far from the first brother to approach her in the club tonight. The bartender had been the exception.
“Could I get two Coronas” the man said to the bartender.
“No, that’s fine,” Leeyas said. “I—”
“So do you come here alone because your friends are put off by your drinking problem?” he interjected.
The bartender slid two beers toward them, a smile on his face.
“Sarcastic asshole, I guess,” Leeyas said, completely ignoring her fresh beer. The bartender wasn’t the only one watching them she noticed. Several others standing around were looking as well.
The man smiled. “Oh I see the game you’re playing. You describe me and I describe you. All right, pretty girl with a drinking problem. Okay, you go.”
“You better stop saying I have a drinking problem cuz.”
“Liquor problem better?”
Leeyas shook her head. Luckily, she’d been able to fully suppress a chuckle. “Plenty guys here,” she said. “Sure you don’t want to talk to one.”
“I was. You got me to take the night off.”
The bartender chuckled a couple of feet away, seemingly preoccupied with wiping another cup with his dishtowel.
She rolled her eyes. Waved him off. “Whatever. I’m not the one you want to be talking to anyway, so just—”
“No,” he cut in, speaking quicker now. Seeming more amused. “But I’m the one you want to be talking to. Feel fortunate. Because I’m the only real challenge you’ll get tonight. See, I’m only really here to see if you’re a challenge to me. Can’t lie, the endless line of guys walking away from you caught my attention. Thought this could be fun. We’ll see if I’m right. Don’t want to waste my time or yours. Tell me your name.”
Leeyas was silent for a moment, staring blankly at him.
He raised his eyebrows. “Name sexy.”
“Uh…L—”
“Don’t even fix your lips to lie to me,” he said slowly. His eyes stuck to hers like nails.
Leeyas grimaced. Drank more beer. “I wouldn’t lie,” she said. “What makes you—”
“Tell me your name sweetheart.” The man’s gaze was unflinching, the half smirk remaining on his face, his beer fizzing and completely forgotten to his side. Something about him was throwing her off, and she didn’t like it. At least, she thought she didn’t.
“Leeyas.”
“Good.” The man paused, his brow slightly wrinkled. “Now give me your real one.”
A small, unconscious smile broke over Leeyas face, despite a considerable degree of frustration. She raised her eyebrows. “That is my real name.” Leeyas made the smile vanish the next second.
“No, no, no. Don’t stop doing that,” the man said sadly.
“Doing what?”
“Smiling.”
Leeyas began to smile again, trying to suppress it and shaking her head, hoping that she didn’t blush. “So you think I’m just going to just sit here and smile for—”
“Tell me why you’re so mean to people Leeyas.”
This made Leeyas pause, her mouth slightly open. She hadn’t seen the question coming for one, and had never been asked this in the club before. Having questions thrown at her this quickly left and right was something she wasn’t used to. She had to think about this. Her instinct was to say she wasn’t mean, purely because the question had hit her like a brick in the head. Only because the man had a peculiar way of phrasing things. Was it intentional? “Does that bother you? Scare you, maybe?”
“I don’t know if it scares me, but does it bother me?” The man nodded. “Yes. Because it reduces my chances of getting close and because that’s not you. I know it’s not.”
“You know nothing about me.”
“Which is why I came over here.”
A brief silence followed, though not uncomfortable.
“You can sit down, you know,” Leeyas said, feeling she could control the situation more if he wasn’t towering over her. Still surprised she’d invited this guy to sit when she wished all the others hadn’t.
“Really?” the man said, seeming to see the stool for the first time. He took a seat, and fixed his dark eyes back on hers. He smiled then and took three quick scoots toward her, intentionally running into her stool.
Leeyas burst into helpless giggles. The man chuckled, and moved his stool back half a foot, but remained closer to her than he’d been the whole night.
“You are crazy,” Leeyas said.
“Yeah. And I want you to know you’re wrong, by the way.”
“Wrong about what?”
Leeyas had completely lost interest in trying to scare the man off. At least for now. For the moment he had her feeling a bit uneasy, a bit curious. Uneasy because he had a retort for anything she threw at him, like a well-practiced lawyer, and curious because she wondered what a guy like him would’ve been doing before he approached her at the bar.
“I know you’re telling the truth and your name is Leeyas.”
Leeyas gave a snort, but not an unkind one. She sipped the beer he’d purchased her.
“I know you’re sweeter than you make yourself look. It’s a show and it’s fine. It makes me like you more. It’s interesting to see how good you’ve gotten at it. So damn good at being so damn mean.”
“I’m not mean,” Leeyas said, frowned, and took another drink of her Corona. If it had been anyone else she would’ve been able to take it. But she didn’t like whoever this guy was calling her mean.
“Jesus,” the man whispered, resting his elbow on the counter, and his chin on his hand. He seemed suddenly grave, as if remembering something of real importance. But his eyes never left hers. “Oh Jesus.”
“What?” Leeyas touched her hair, a bit self-consciously. She didn’t know what to make of his expression.
“You are so...so—”
Leeyas knew what he was going to say. It was the first time she was able to see it coming. Her mind was already at work to respond.
“It’s just you’re so much of an alcoholic,” the man finished.
The bartender burst out laughing and moved away quickly, scrubbing absently at, yet, another glass cup. He’d been just a couple feet away, pretending to be busy, but apparently hearing everything. Leeyas had barely noticed, bursting into laughter herself.
“I don’t know how I’m supposed to help you,” the man went on. “I’ve never dealt with an alcoholic nineteen years old before. But I’ll give it a try.”
Leeyas mouth clamped shut. “How’d you know my age?”
The man didn’t answer, and finally picked his beer up and took a sip. And for the first time Leeyas realized she didn’t know this man’s name despite how long they’d spent talking.
She put her eyes back on his. “Tell me your name,” she said, a bit forcefully. The man didn’t respond for a moment, and just looked at her, the smirk gone. He furrowed his brow slightly as if trying to figure something about her out. Scratched at his chin. “You’re not going to tell me your name?” Leeyas said slowly.
“Jacob.”
“Hmm.” Leeyas nodded approvingly. “That’s a nice name,” she told him.
Can’t believe I just paid him a compliment, she thought, pausing mid-sip with her bottle as she realized this. Another beer was gone, Leeyas wondering how much she’d gone through.
They spent another fifteen minutes talking about random things before Jacob commented on her name.
“Leeyas is a nice name,” he said.
“No it’s not.” She hadn’t said it with humor or a smile. She couldn’t help it. It was instinctive. The need to mess with him was still there like the need to take in air after holding your breath for a long time. “Don’t be afraid to say what you really think.”
The man said nothing. Instead he just looked at her, unsmiling. Leeyas wondered if she had actually gotten to him. Said something that threw him off his game. If she had it would’ve been the first and likely be the only time tonight. Well she wasn’t too afraid to see. It was time to go for another.
She gave a cold smile. “Staring part of your game Jacob. Something you feel you absolutely have to do? FYI, it doesn’t make you look cool. Makes you look—”
The man reached out and grabbed her hand in ones that were big, warm, and she guessed strong. He squeezed slightly. Yeah, they were strong.
“Why don’t you just stop,” he told her, the half smirk back, almost as if to soften the command.
And in a mind somewhat distorted by alcohol she was able to see clearly that she wasn’t going to beat this guy. This mystery man, Jacob. Warmth flooded her face, and she recalled a friend telling her that liquor helped warm the body up. That it could actually help keep you warm when your surroundings were cold. She had wondered if that was bullshit. Yet at this particular moment she thought her face was confirming the opposite. Then Leeyas realized something that shocked her. It wasn’t the liquor. And the answer wasn’t a complex one either. She was blushing, something she hadn’t done in years, plain and simple. Jacob had made her blush.
Leeyas gave a closed lipped smile, and looked down shyly, out of things to say. She couldn’t even rack her brain for more ammo. Jacob had quite effectively taken her words. A moment passed, and he lifted her chin gently with his free hand to put his eyes on hers once again.
“Come on. Get up. Let me show you something.” Jacob slid his thumb over her knuckles, something Leeyas thought was an unconscious gesture. She couldn’t say she disapproved however.
“What do you want to show me?”
“Just get up,” he said, cocking his head away from the bar, toward the other side of the club. He let go of her hand and stood up and began to move away.
“Wait,” she said, taking his hand back, smiling when their eyes touched again. “Just give me…” She realized how tipsy she’d become since she’d first arrived here. But she hadn’t drunk that much more since then. Had she? She couldn’t remember. “Just give me a second to pay, please.”
Another moment of pause, both mentally and physically. She remained still, wondering why she’d said please. What was the point of that? The word had come out so quickly. So automatic. Just as automatic as ordering another beer.
“Come on, move it woman,” he said with a smile, yet in a tone that may have been half demanding. She wondered if her mind was playing tricks on her. Or if maybe—just maybe—Mr. Jacob had a proclivity for giving demands.
Jacob had already paid for the drinks he’d ordered.
“One second Jake.” She rummaged through a dark purse with a gold buckle, found her cash, paid the bartender for what she’d ordered, tipped, and followed Jacob through the club. On the way through the crowd she could feel at least fifty men’s eyes on her. Could feel their eyes on her ass, her breasts, and her face like glue, feeling her up like a new pet. But only for a moment. Then her mind moved back to Jacob. Mr. Mystery Man.
“Seriously Jacob,” she said. “How did you know my age?”
Jacob took her hand. “Pick it up sexy. Come on.”
As Jacob was leading her toward the exit she tripped and fell forward. Jacob turned and kept her on her feet, his hands under her arms.
“Where are you taking me,” she said, everything beginning to spin.
“Home.”
Leeyas snickered. “No you’re not.”
“Come on,” he said, letting her go.
Leeyas followed him out into the parking lot toward a 2002 black BMW parked on the far end by a road leading out into the street. It was distinct in a sea of cars that were dust ridden, and over a decade old.
Nice, Leeyas thought.
“Jacob,” Leeyas said, and stumbled again. This time she remained on her feet without his assistance. “Seriously.”
Jacob spared her just a glance. One that may have shown a flash of concern.
“Home,” he repeated and proceeded to his car, letting her walk on her own. He unlocked all the doors from the driver’s side with the turn of a key and looked back at her expectantly.
“You’re not taking me to your place,” Leeyas said. “Seriously.”
“You’re seriously right about that.” He gave her a half smile. “Get in. Where do you live?”
“You’re not taking me to my home either,” Leeyas said, feeling the first hints of anger. “Man…fuck you dude. I’m going home. I can’t deal with this now.” She turned and began to stroll toward her car, extracting her keys. She took roughly three steps , her keys jiggling in her hand, before they were snatched from her.
Leeyas wheeled around.
“If you can take them back from me you can drive,” Jacob said, dangling the keys out of snatching distance with two fingers.
Normally, Leeyas would have turned indignant, and she could’ve given a number of good reasons why she’d be in the right. But she was too drunk. So instead she chuckled in a show of fake, good humor.
“Jacob. I don’t know you. What makes you think I’ll get in your car? And what in the hell makes you think I’d believe you’d take me home. You could be a serial killer.”
“So could you.”
“That’s truly the first stupid thing you said tonight.”
“And that might be your tenth for all I know.”
Leeyas abruptly darted toward him, her hand outstretched. “Give me my keys Jacob.”
“Nah, I want to see you again so I can’t.”
Leeyas stopped moving for the keys, which was just as well because she was getting nowhere close to grabbing them. He’d extended one arm to hold her back. Even through her degree of intoxication the comment had caught her off guard, and everything about Jacob from his clothes, to the way he spoke, to his deep and dark eyes made her want to like him. Or keep liking him anyway. “You think I’m drunk, don’t you?”
Jacob laughed. Leeyas smile disappeared.
“You’re fucking gone girl,” he told her.
“Man, fuck you, Jacob,” Leeyas shouted at him, and rushed at her keys again. She felt a fresh surge of anger and she’d figure she’d use the new energy to be successful taking her keys back this time. But she couldn’t even get around his arm.
“You’re so sexy.” Jacob slapped her playfully on the cheek and laughed. Leeyas felt her face going red now. She was about ready to hit him. It’d be nice to deck him right between the eyes. Or better yet in the eye.
Jacob pushed her back but gently. “Relax,” he told her. His arm remained out to keep her from darting forward again.
“Come on, I don’t want this to get serious.”
“You threatening me drunky?”
“You took my keys. That’s stealing Jacob.” She stomped her foot on the ground like a toddler. “It’s stealing.”
Jacob seemed to consider this, shrugged, and suddenly tossed her keys to her. Leeyas managed to catch the keys, just barely, and looked down at them.
“Weak defense. I would’ve expected a better line from you. But you shouldn’t drive drunk,” he said. “I really just wanted to make a point.”
“Well that was pretty gay.”
Jacob opened the driver’s side door slowly. “Let me take you home or if you don’t trust me get you cab. Seriously.”
Leeyas could still make out everything okay, but she didn’t seem to be able to hold it all in focus. It was like being unable to focus a microscope. “Uh...let me think about it…no.”
Jacob took a seat in the car, and just as he was closing the door, Leeyas stopped him.
“Wait,” she said.
Jacob’s dark eyes peered back into hers for what may have been the millionth time that night. It was funny looking into his eyes, because the only eyes they reminded her of were her own. Smaller though. Colder, maybe.
“What’s up obituary girl?”
“Man, shut up Jake,” she said, walking carefully over to him. She leaned on the open driver’s side door hard enough to make it creak.
“Don’t do that,” he said.
“Fuck you.”
Jacob’s eyes turned sullen, his gaze unblinking. But Leeyas didn’t flinch. And didn’t move off the car door either.
“You want to fuck me, don’t you,” Leeyas said, a sly smile developing on her face.
A smile broke on Jacob’s face. Nice, white, healthy teeth. His whole face had brightened. “Shit Leeyas. I’m surprised you don’t have alcohol poisoning.”
Leeyas bit her bottom lip, now wearing a half smile that showed partial annoyance. Jacob had retorts like they were listed on a rolodex. Kind of like her. “You going to get into the alcoholic jokes again?”
“Who said I even stopped. Get in the car.” Jacob was now looking over a piece of notebook paper he’d fished from his pocket. He seemed to be counting items on a list, tapping the paper with his finger.
“You think you’re big shit, huh?”
A small smirk. “No, you do. Now Leeyas....beautiful…you sexy thing. Get in the car.” He spoke like he’d been her boyfriend for several years, and this incident of standing outside the car, bickering with him was just the norm.
Leeyas wasn’t smiling anymore though. He wasn’t about to run over her. It was her that would run over him if and when she wanted to. “Look at me Jacob,” she said.
He did without hesitation, the piece of paper still open before him.
Those fucking eyes, she thought. Why can’t I stop looking? Is it the eyes or the expression?
“You don’t scare me,” she told him.
“You don’t scare me either, though I know you’d like to.”
Leeyas stumbled, but kept her balance with a bit of help from the BMW door, making it creak again. She pointed her finger at the slightly older man before her. “Take me home and only by the route I tell you Jacob. And I’m sending a text to my mom telling her I’ll be home soon and that this nice boy Jacob is bringing me in his nice black BMW. I’m giving her the license plate and everything.”
Jacob grinned and shook his head. He chortled. “You are way too beautiful to kill,” he said, and looked down at the paper again, his brow furrowed.
And maybe the comment wouldn’t have meant anything to many others, but the comment damn near knocked her off her feet. Especially in this inebriated state. Yet another line from Jacob’s rolodex to keep Leeyas off her game and to keep him on his.
On that night in December of 2003, drunk and perhaps at her most vulnerable, Leeyas let Jacob drive her to her home.
It was 1:39am. Home didn’t come until a few hours later though.


2:03am

“You know… I got a gun.”
A chuckle. “Good for you.”
“Seriously. And it’s not some gay ass pink gun either, like other girls like to get. You know. A real gun. Bullets…yeah…lots of bullets.” A smile.
“Not registered though, right?”
“Why—Why do you say that?”
“Because you’re under twenty-one.”
“I can buy a rifle, you know.”
A small snicker. A polite smile. “Go get some sleep.”
“And maybe a shotgun too I think…yeah, I think I can get a shotgun.” An uncertain look. “Maybe…not really sure. But it’s kind of fucked up because a shotgun can fuck someone up worse than a handgun, you know. It really can do some…some life altering damage.” Another chuckle.
“Yeah.”
“Yeah. But yeah…I got a gun. Have a couple of knives too. And I’m not being sick. I know you think I am. But I’m telling you because they’re more like collectables. You can see that with the handles and engraving and everything. Hicks would probably like them for hunting.”
He beams at her in silence for a moment. “You are so cute. Cute as shit to be completely honest. But seriously…go inside…lock your door… and go the fuck to sleep.”
“Man…I am not tired Jakey.”
Laughter. “But you’re drunk.” A pause. “Dude.”
“No.”
“Yes.”
“You’re not drunk though. You wanted to show me something, now let me show you something Jakey. Drive.”
“Leeyas, I showed you my car so I could take you here.”
“To fuck me.”
A hint of anger. “I wasn’t trying to fuck you.”
A moment of silence, and she leans back in her seat. “Shut up and drive.”
A heavy sigh followed by the sound of his foot hitting the accelerator. Outside the window beats quietly against the car. “Fuck it. Whatever. Point me in the right direction.”
In the quiet night a BMW pulls out of the parking lot of a fenced-in apartment complex.


Stars and the Tick of a Watch

Jacob put his hand on Leeyas back and gave a gentle push to scare her, but she was too drunk to be frightened it seemed. Instead, she just let it remain where it was. It didn’t take long for his hand to slide down by her waist, his mind instinctively moving to the smooth skin beneath her dress, feeling somewhat enticed from the warmth he felt.
“This doesn’t scare you,” Jacob said. “Standing on the edge of the cliff?”
She shook her head. “No. I’m actually surprised you’re standing as close as I am.” Leeyas took a small step forward, looking straight ahead at the city and the landscape that rolled out beyond.
Jacob grabbed Leeyas hand and pulled her away from the edge.
“Maybe sober not drunk.”
“Huh?”
“Just move away from the freaking edge Leeyas.”
The stars twinkled brightly above in a sky barely scattered with clouds. It was December, though in Colorado this wasn’t unusual. The weather wasn’t bad, but it was cold. Jacob wanted to get back in his car, surprised that Leeyas didn’t seem to want to do the same.
“You suck Jake.”
“What?”
“Why you moving me away, I’m a grown woman dude.”
“Is dude a word you say more when you’re drunk?”
“What?”
“Never mind. Listen, I’m cold, I’m not even going to bullshit. My hands are getting numb. Let’s get in the car, it’s a great view, all right. I believe you.”
“Isn’t it?” She suddenly shoved Jacob, hard. She began to snicker.
Despite this, Jacob thought she looked truly angelic, and the combination of stars, a nearly clear sky, and the view from above served as a great aesthetic for the moment. He smiled back at her.
“I guess there’s no point in saying you’re drunk again, is there?”
“Not unless you want to fall head first over that cliff, Jakey.”
Jacob strolled to the driver’s side door and kept his eyes on Leeyas as she stood opposite him. She moved toward the passenger side.
“What?” she said.
“Tell me. Is your life so boring that you couldn’t bear going into your apartment for another night, and you’d rather come to a cliff at the edge of a forest with a guy you never met way past midnight?”
She pointed at him, a joking expression. “I met you though. You’re Jacob, right?”
“Funny.”
“I don’t let myself get bored. The second a feel bored I handle it.” A second passed and she added, “Asshole.”
“Jeez…you got some mouth on you woman.”
“I know,” she said, slapping her hands down on the top of his car. She opened the passenger door. “You can go ahead and take me home for real now.”
Jacob became quickly confused. “That’s all you wanted to do. Just see the view real quick and go?”
“Yeah...so. Besides, you were about to get in the car anyway.”
“To warm up.”
“Whatever. Come on. Get your punk ass in the car.” They looked at each other, Leeyas eyes holding Jacob’s attention. Something about them. She was giving him a playful look of coldness and he knew this. But it entranced him for just that moment. He was unable to look away. Even the playful version was a look cold enough to chill the very stars he stood under.
Leeyas began to giggle again, and was inside the car a second later. After a moment, looking blankly out past the spot where she’d just been standing, Jacob got in and drove her home.








© Copyright 2011 Jay (jmarshall1107 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815010-Jacob-and-Leeyas-Chapter-1