*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1581937-Alone-At-The-Beach
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jane
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1581937
A Girl Alone On The Beach... Inspired By My Boyfriend Moving Away ^^
I sighed deeply as I looked out across the unfriendly sea. The waves rolled threateningly, and storm clouds billowed overhead. The beach was empty, except for me, stood ankle deep in the icy water, thinking. How ironic, that the place I come to in my loneliness is the very place where it began. As I stared out across the sea, my mind explored the memory...

Standing alone on the beach, a few miles from where it happens. He had told me to meet him here, where was he? Surely he had finished school by now? Vibrations; someone was calling my phone. I answer; it’s him!
“I’ll be there soon baby,” he says, sounding slightly rushed. “I have some bad news though. But don’t worry; it’s fine. I love you.” He ends the call. Despite his assurances, I worry. What could the news be? Surely nothing has happened?
I hear voices back on the beach. I turn to see Jordan drop his bike and jog over to where I stand. When he reaches me, I throw my arms around his neck and kiss him passionately. After a few moments, we pull apart. I rest my head on his chest, as he holds me close.
“What’s the bad news?” I ask reluctantly. I really don’t want to know. He sighs, a sigh filled with resignation and regret.
“I’m leaving tonight,” he says eventually, his voice barely more than a whisper.
Shock freezes me. I am too stunned to move, too appalled to talk. No! I thought we’d had longer! NO! They couldn’t. They couldn’t take him away from me! As tears began to roll down my cheeks, I suddenly found my voice again, and the ability to move. I pulled away from him just enough to look up at him, to see his eyes. I couldn’t let them take him.
“Why?” I whisper, my throat so tight that anything more was impossible.
“I don’t know. Mum rang me today. She said I had to decide right then whether I live with her or my dad, because she is picking me up tonight...” he trails off, and pulls me to him again.
“Don’t cry, Jane. Please don’t cry. It’ll be fine, you’ll see. We can still be together.”
“But London... It’s so far away!” I cry into his shirt, locking my arms about his waist.
He waits while I cry myself out, holding me, kissing me, telling me it will be ok. When I am finally calm, he pulls away and looks into my eyes. I look straight back at him, losing myself in the gorgeous colour of his blue/green eyes.
“I love you, Jane. I always have, and I always will. Moving to London won’t change that.”
Then he kisses me sweetly...


Spray on my face brought me back to the present. I sighed, staring mournfully out across the sea once more. I missed him so much, it was nearly unbearable. I spoke to him on the phone every day; he messaged me pretty much every minute. But I longed for his presence.
I wanted to hug him, to feel his strong arms wrapped around me. I wanted to kiss him, kiss him until we were both dizzy from lack of oxygen. I wanted to lay under the stars with him, listening to his heart beat, and to fall asleep in his arms. I wanted him here with me, to make me whole once more, to stop me feeling as though I had lost a part of me. But he wasn’t here. He was supposed to be, but he wasn’t.


“I’ll come back. I always come back.”
Jordan tries to reassure me as we walk down the beach holding hands. I’m wearing his hoodie now - he gave me it to remember him by while he is gone. He wears my necklace, a heart with a ‘J’ in the centre. So he has something of mine, too.
I sigh and look out over the sea. I don’t want this to happen. I love Jordan. I want him to stay with me.
“Don’t leave me...” I whisper, not realizing that he hears me.
“I’ll never leave you. I’m just going away for a while. You’ll see me at weekends. I’m coming down every opportunity I get, just to see you. Don’t worry.”
I sigh again, and stand on tiptoes to kiss his cheek. He smiles at me and kisses my lips softly. We continue walking, hand in hand, down the beach.


Tears slid down my face, alerting me once more to my surroundings. I fell to my knees, burying my face in my hands as I cried. I missed him so much. I’d give everything I owned to have Jordan with me at that very moment. I’d give everything I own, have ever or will ever own. Anything to have him with me. I love him.

We soon stop walking. The sun is just setting, and it looks so beautiful, the orange light glinting off the sea. He pulls me close and kisses me again. I kiss him back, tears running down my face once more. Suddenly, a car horn sounds from the edge of the beach. We both look round. Jordan sighs.
“It’s time for me to go,” he says. I look up at him in horror.
“No,” I whisper, shaking my head. “Don’t go. Don’t leave me...”
“I have to,” he says. “Don’t worry, ill be back soon. You won’t even have time to miss me.”
He kisses me passionately, hugs me, and then walks off toward the car. When he reaches the car, he turns back and blows me a kiss. Then he gets in and the car leaves.


I found myself back in the presence once more. My eyes were dry now, in a direct contrast to my clothes which were soaked through, as I had knelt in the sea for who knows how long. Then suddenly, I realised that I wasn’t alone. I felt a presence a few feet away; someone was watching me.
I turned slowly, reluctant to face them. Whoever it was, they were likely to cause me trouble. I didn’t want it right now. As I looked up, seeing the person’s face, my eyes widened and for a few moments I couldn’t speak; I couldn’t breathe. Finally I found my voice again.
“Jordan,” I whispered softly. My eyes filled with tears, and I got to my feet and hurled myself into his arms. He held me close, kissing my hair and laughing softly as I cried my happiness into his chest. When I had finished, I pulled away and kissed him. He kissed me back.
“Welcome home,” I said.
“Thank you honey,” he replied. “I’ve missed you so much.”
“I missed you too.”
“Jane,” he whispered against my ear. “I love you.”
“I love you too Jordan.”

© Copyright 2009 Jane (janebell15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1581937-Alone-At-The-Beach