*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289470-I-Hear-The-Horses-Speak
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1289470
Jubilee was a horse once hurt by people, would he trust again?
                                        I Hear The Horses Speak
                                              By: SM Ferguson


    Tony liked this girl.She was a refreshing change,like a cold beer on a hot day.

    “Decide for yourself if I can do the job,” she said.

    He felt she was petite to handle twelve hundred pound thoroughbreds, but he’d give her a shot.They neared his training field; a layout of jumps gleamed white against emerald grass.Sweat and leather scented the air.

    A sharp curse brought Tony’s attention to the saddling area. He stiffened as a groom narrowly missed losing a piece of arm to the big horse he’d been saddling. The black stallion stamped his forefeet, angry his teeth had missed. He snorted loudly, trying to back away as the groom inched in with a bridle.

    “Who’s the black?” she startled Tony.

    “Jubilee,” Tony replied.

    “He’s feeling a mite feisty," she headed for the horse.” Hand me the bridle.”

    The groom complied willingly.

    “Wait,” Tony called,” That horse can’t be ridden.”

    She ignored him, her attention riveted on the horse. The stallion stared, nostrils flaring as he shook his heavy mane. His ears flattened as his head snaked towards the girl. She sidestepped, speaking softly.

    “Easy, Jubilee. Let’s be friends. I won’t hurt you.”

    Tony watched as the girl reached out a hand to the stallion towering over her. He gasped as the horse touched a velvet muzzle to her.Tony felt fear walk up his spine. He’d planned to have the horse put down. Tony remembered the groom the horse had bitten yesterday.Frozen,he watched silently.

    The stallion catapulted backwards to the end of his tether, eyes rolling white. Teeth bared, he advanced on the girl. She stood like stone, eyes locked with the horse’s.Jubilee stopped inches from her. She reached out,stroking his neck.He settled at her touch.Terry decided it was time for action.She dropped the bridle and untied the tether, looping the ends through each side of Jubilee’s halter. She led the stallion forward to the mounting block.Tony gasped in shock He couldn’t speak. With one fluid motion, the girl slid the looped rope over Jubilee’s head as she vaulted to his bareback.

    “Open the gate,"she kept her voice soft.

    Tony swung open the gate, this girl was nuts. He watched her ease the horse into a slow canter around the field. Jubilee pricked his ears as he obeyed. She rode him in a long arc around the field. The stallion moved calmly and smoothly around the arena.Terry pulled him to a stop.Jubilee stood quietly.

    “He’s warmed up,we’re ready,” she watched Tony.

    “Are you going to jump?” Tony turned pale.

    “He’s up for it,” she grinned.” You watch us work.”

    Terry sent Jubilee flying around the arena.She sat him so easily; they appeared to be one entity.Tony had never seen a horse and rider so in tune.Jubilee flowed over the ground as he floated over the jumps.

    Tony watched as the big horse was cooled out on the electric walker.

    “How’d you know he wouldn’t hurt you?” he stared at Terry.

    “He told me,” she replied,” He’s been hurt by others is the problem.”

    “He told you?” Tony shook his head.

    “His mouth and withers are both scarred, he needs lighter tack.” Terry continued,” My grandpa taught me to listen to horses, people called him a horse whisperer.”

    Tony remembered her staring into the stallion’s eyes.It was the damnedest thing I ever did see, he thought.


Word Count: 560
   

AUTHORS NOTE: Written for Flash Fiction Contest From Prompts Given.
[Based on a True Story]
© Copyright 2007 dejavu_BIG computerprobs (dejavu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1289470-I-Hear-The-Horses-Speak