*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1222091-What-Has-Become-of-My-Love
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1222091
A knight is forced to choose between two creatures. Which one is his beloved?
The unicorn pawed the ground with her hoof. She was a beautiful sight. She was pure white, save for her gray nose. Her mane and tail were laced with glittery strands that shimmered in the sun. She had deep brown eyes that could, if gazed into, turn the most evil creature into one pure of heart.

The witch slouched in a chair made of branches from a beech tree. She wore a black robe. Her long hair hung in gray stringy clumps down to her waist. Her hooked nose was mottled with warts and moles. She had one tooth that showed even when her mouth was closed. Her eyes were black and mirrored her black heart.

The knight, Sir Daniel, looked between the two of them. One of them was his lady love. His princess. She had been stolen from her tower, and word had it she was changed into one of these creatures. The King sent Sir Daniel to find her. If he chose the correct creature, he could have her back. If not, she would remain in her changed form, and he would remain the constant companion of the one he chose.

“The unicorn,” Sir Daniel said. “My fair lady was pure of heart, she was pure and beautiful like the unicorn,” he said, thinking out loud.

The unicorn pawed the ground enthusiastically, tossed her head and snorted.

“But what if the unicorn is just a ruse?” Sir Daniel looked at the witch who sighed, looking bored. “Perhaps my lady love was turned into this wicked beast.”

“I am not a wicked beast,” the witch snarled. “I’m the hag from the village, just let me get back to my cats, I’m sure the children miss me,” she smiled, showing her single tooth.

Sir Daniel looked again at the unicorn. He stared deep into her eyes. He felt at peace. He pulled his gaze away and looked into the eyes of the witch. Though she looked wicked and cruel, there was a kindness in her black eyes. The same kindness he saw in his lady’s eyes when she looked at the children in the village, or tended her horse.

“The witch, the witch is my lady love,” Sir Daniel said. “Come, my love, return to your beautiful form, come with me and we shall wed!”

“You fool,” the witch said. “I said, I’m the hag from the village, and now I’m the hag with Sir Stud,” she shook her fist at the sky. “Cursed! I’m cursed!”

Sir Daniel was taken aback. He looked at the unicorn, she looked back at him. It was too late. He failed. His lady love would forever be a mythical beast. She slowly turned and galloped away.

“Let’s go, Sir Stud,” the witch said. “I think you will make a lovely stew,” she pinched his cheek and hooked her arm in his.

Sir Daniel looked back over his shoulder, just in case he could glimpse his lady love, but she was gone.

When he returned to the king with the hag from the village, the king stripped Sir Daniel of his knightly title. He was forced to remain with the hag, of course, and they lived in the cabin at the edge of the village. He spent the rest of his days chasing the children away from the hag’s house.

From time to time he wandered the forest looking for the unicorn. Looking for his lady love, his lost love. But he never found her, and he never saw her again.
© Copyright 2007 Fish*sWife - I'm Baaaaack! (clairelouise at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1222091-What-Has-Become-of-My-Love