*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035981-If-the-Moon-Falls-Tonight
Rated: GC · Fiction · Emotional · #1035981
This is somthing I wrote as sort of an assignment. Will Doug Be reunited with Mary?
Just curious about what people think of this.


Character: Recluse

Item 1: Knife
Item 2: Mirror

Emotion: Love

Event: Death

Inspiration: If the moon falls tonight...



          Doug looked across the bathroom at the full-length mirror on the door.
“So, it comes down to this.” He whispered to his reflection. He closed his eyes and sat back enjoying the heat from the water. He opened his eyes again and looked at the mirror thinking of all that had led up to this. Mary, why did you have to die? Why did you have to go and leave me alone here? He thought. He has only left the house twice since her funeral two years ago. That day stands out in his mind like it happened only yesterday. He closed his eyes again displaying her face on the picture screen in his mind. He used to study that face while she was sleeping, the way her brown hair would fall down around her neck, the way her tiny mouth would part ever so slightly, the way her eyes moved when she dreamed. Ah, he thought, twenty years I never really knew just how much I loved you Mary. But I’m assaulted by it every day I’m not with you.
          He opened his eyes again and looked into the mirror, before reaching over for the strait razor that rested on the toilet. “I’m coming Mary, I just hope I get to see you again when I get there.” He said. He pressed the flat of the blade against his wrist to feel the touch of the cold metal. Then before he lost his nerve he quickly dug the blade into his skin and cut all the way to his elbow. He looked at the expression of pain on his face in the mirror, and tried to make it go away as he drug the sharp blade though his flesh. He then did the same with the other wrist and put the razor back on the toilet seat, not caring about the blood he was dripping on the floor. He settled back so he could watch himself die in the mirror, and waited. He marveled at the color of his own blood, and the way it made the water at first pink, and then a deep scarlet.
          “We will be together until the moon falls out of the sky,” she had told him once just after they were married. For him the moon fell a long time ago, but if the moon falls again tonight, he will see her. As his vision began to darken, he whispered,
          “The moon’s falling honey, and I’m coming to you.” He let his head rest on his chest, loosing sight of the mirror, and slipped slowly into death.

© Copyright 2005 Wickett (wickett567 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1035981-If-the-Moon-Falls-Tonight