*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Spoiler--4
  2. Spoiler--3
  3. Spoiler--2
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1942914-The-Wandering-Stars/cid/1950153-Spoiler--4
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1942914
A secret society of magicians fights evil--and sometimes each other.
This choice: Continue as Will Prescott  •  Go Back...
Chapter #15

Spoiler--4

    by: Seuzz
With a rush and a roar the world and your consciousness reconnect. But the phone stops ringing before you can reach it. Steve Patterson tosses it away and leans back with a thin smile. "Fuck," you say when you see him. "Who let you out?"

He's dressed in a cotton robe and is sitting on the coffee table. "That was a fun talk we had tonight, wasn't it?" he says.

"Wasn't it," you casually agree, and lay back onto the sofa with the your arm draped across your eyes. "Is that what you woke me up to say?"

"We need to talk about tomorrow. Aside from Carrero, we snatched Lamb out of CID."

"Mm. I figured you did, what with the— Oh. Shit." You drop your arm and stare bug-eyed at him.

"Yes?" he asks dryly.

"Uh. Heh. Was it—?" You lick your lips. "Was it you playing around with that dartboard this evening?"

"Playing around with what dartboard?" he asks with obvious faux-naiveté. "And how would I be playing around with it?"

"Okay, Steve, you got me. You told me not to, but—"

"But what?"

"Look, you saw how effective those dart holes are. I— Kipper's never seen Knotts so freaked out. And Gallion—"

"Yeah, what's his problem?"

"Oh, he's just the newest of the bunch, not been properly seasoned yet." You sit up stiffly. "But I can tell you, even speaking for myself— Well, for Kipper— There is some serious freaking out going on."

"So I saw. And I decided to help out with the dartboard. You're welcome."

"When did you manage it?"

"Just before the meeting. Knotts told me about the promotion, told me to get changed. The floor was empty when I came out, so I snuck in and jabbed a few quick holes into it."

"It was nice. The diamond pattern is a nice touch." You yawn. "Makes it look intentional."

"As for Lamb—"

"Oh, right." You rub your face. "Do we need some coffee?"

"Probably. Joe and Frank didn't leave any clues when they snatched Lamb. Can we use that fact?"

You spend a moment piercing the fog that still envelopes your head, and a minute later you're pondering the possibilities. "Maybe. Knotts is pretty sure he's still safely undercover as the DC. If she got a message from him, she might go to a meeting. But she'd play it very cautiously, ring it around with backups. We'd have to cover the extraction somehow."

"What about using a flash-bang? Like we did in Paris last year? While the lights are up Frank and Joe can slap a travel mask on Knotts and run out the back."

You shrug. "If you don't mind making a mess. Talk to them about it. If Joe can keep the light going long enough— But it has to be a public place so her support crew isn't tempted to start any serious shit."

"Would she pack the room with support? Or station them outside?"

"Probably both. When you talk to Frank and Joe, tell them to assume there are two others in the room with the target, and that everyone else from Diana is outside. Could they do it, and is there a location they could do it at?"

So Patterson puts Joe and Frank on speaker-phone; you put on some coffee; and you spend three hours talking over the logistics. At the end, a snatch is deemed doable, and can be run at a tea shop that your team already knows pretty well. "I hate to put Tracy through it," Joe says of a waitress there he knows. "But she won't be able to connect us with it, so I'll still be able to get into her panties afterward."

Continue as Terry Kipper: "The Faces Across the Breakfast Table

You have the following choice:

1. Continue as Will Prescott

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1942914-The-Wandering-Stars/cid/1950153-Spoiler--4