*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. The next day...
  2. A new package
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1572936-Warping-Reality/cid/711019-The-next-day
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1572936
A new take on warping reality, written in third person.
This choice: Make everyone invisible  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

The next day...

    by: Tolchok
Amanda got up around 7:30. She wasn't due to leave for the city until around 11:30. Now seemed to be a good time as any other to test out the device. She had to read the documentation firsthand, however.

"To set up your device, mount it on a wall. This will make the device change all reality within your building".

She wondered how she could place it on her wall. There were no holes for screws or nails. The manual didn't seem to specify how to mount it. She guessed the only way to find out how to mount it was to simply place it on her bedroom wall. She placed the device on her wall, which subsequently seemed to turn into liquid. It engulfed the device, but it still felt like a concrete wall to her hands, which did not get engulfed. After a few seconds, the device surfaced, and it appeared to be attached to her wall. It was now turned on. There were several selections.

Invisible
Disappear
Copy
Size
Length
Animal
Age
Sound/language
Animation
Mind control
Affects

She touched the word "Invisible" and another screen came up. There were two selections.

Whole body
Separate parts

She pressed the selection "Separate Parts" and brought up "Head" and "Body". She read the manual again.

"Reality can change a person's whole body, or just certain parts. For instance, to change the reality of your head, press the word 'Head' once. To change the reality of parts of your head, such as your hair, mouth, ears, etc., press 'Head' twice."

Amanda decided to change her whole body, and pressed an arrow pointing right near the bottom of the screen. She then pressed the selection "Whole Body". The words were then highlighted in green. However, Amanda felt nothing. Perhaps a look in the mirror might help. She went into the bathroom, looked in the mirror, and sure enough, she could not see herself. All she could see was her pajamas, standing there, empty. Where her hands, feet, and head should have been, there was empty space. Her pajama pants appeared to be floating. She raised her arms and waved them around. In the mirror, the sleeves of her pajama top repeated the exact same actions. She clapped her hands, rubbed them together, rubbed them against her face. They were still there, but were simply invisible.

She picked up her toothbrush, and sure enough, it appeared to be floating near her sleeve. She tried to put it in her mouth, but seemed to be touching thin air when she did so. She realized now that whilst she could touch tangible objects, they could not touch her.

She figured that David and Rachel must be up by now. She went to the living room, and found Rachel's nightgown sitting on the couch, watching television. It too was filled out as if she was in it.

"Morning Amanda", the nightgown said.
"Oh my god, you're invisible too! Listen, I can explain...", said Amanda.
"Explain what? I've always been invisible and so have you. Hasn't bothered you until just now."
"No, I got an alien device, and warped reality."
"Wow, you sound like a kid. I'm not exactly Einstein, but I know that this is what normal people look like."

Amanda looked up at the television. It was showing some kiddie sitcom, probably Wizards of Waverly Place. All the characters in the show were invisible, their clothes were moving as if people were inside them. They could still be heard. There was a DVD case on the table. The people photographed on that were also invisible.

"Really, we're supposed to look like this?" asked Amanda.
"Look out the window if you're unsure," said Rachel.

She looked out onto the road, and could see various people walking down the street. It looked normal, but they were also invisible. Amanda then went outside, and as soon as she exited the door frame, she noticed that she was back to her normal form. She could see herself again. The people outside were also visible. She went back inside, and became invisible again.

"Are you sure we're supposed to be invisible?"
"Yes, I've made that perfectly clear."
"Why don't we take a look outside?"

Amanda grabbed Rachel by the arm and took her outside. They then both reverted to their true, visible form.

"See?" Amanda said, pointing to various people. "That's our true form."
"No shit, Sherlock."

Rachel went back inside, and reverted to her invisible form.

"Did you see?"
"Yeah, you dragged me outside to point out the obvious."
"But we became visible again"
"No, I don't remember changing form"

Amanda stormed off to her bedroom. She had a read of the manual.

"Normally, people affected by this change will accept it as if they were always like that. However, you can program it so they can feel the change. Select 'Mind Control', and a list of names will come up. These consist of people who live or work in the building, as well as regular guests. Names highlighted in green will be people affected by the changes, but will not feel it. Press their names and the highlight will be removed, thus making them able to feel the changes."

Amanda...
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Tolchok (UN: ndrly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tolchok has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1572936-Warping-Reality/cid/711019-The-next-day