*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3686284
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 5, 2024 at 11:38pm
Edited: October 5, 2024 at 11:42pm
Which Way Do I Go?
Okay, I'm still behind on my novel prepping and now behind on my homework, too. Ugh! Me and my life decisions!

Anyway, school aside, I have a NaNo question.

I'm prepping a horror story story where a kid is interested in science and genetics. They have pet lizards and they feed them this special type of roach that can't climb or fly so people often keep them in tanks with no lids. (True statement.) The kid ends up breeding the feeder roaches to become more aggressive and they end up mating with flying, climbing roaches (which probably can't happen) and becoming this horrible flying, climbing, aggressive roach.

So, the question is, how does this come about. I had an idea, but then changed it during the What If's. But now I'm worried that the change might be too passe. Thoughts?

A boy decides to breed aggressive roaches because the idea of breeding in/out traits is interesting to him and he wants his lizards to be more entertained and to work for their food more like they would in the wild. Flying, climbing roaches get into his tank and eventually manage to successfully breed, then the offspring escape, since there's no lid. They reproduce in the walls of his house and his mom is likely the first one killed. They kill you by suffocating you by crawling down your throat when you go to scream about all the roaches on you. His leading to the horror that follows is purely accidental.

A girl decides to breed aggressive roaches because she's bullied at school and begins feeling sorry for the roaches she's feeding to her lizards and wants them to at least have a fighting chance. She discovers there are flying, climbing roaches trying to mate or maybe she even puts them in to try to mate them with the aggressive roaches and after several unsuccessful attempts (partly due to the aggressiveness of her new roaches), she finally breeds some and lets them go in the school or perhaps in her nemesis's house where they continue breeding and eventually become quite abundant and start swarming and end up killing people in the same way as mentioned above. She plays an active role in the horror that befalls her town and is quite pleased with herself.

He's a curious, scientifically-minded teen who makes mistakes. She's an angry psychopath who does this on purpose.

I think the 2nd one seems more "horror," but it also seems too predictable and a bit overdone, IMO. Of course, she's bullied. Of course, she breeds killer roaches on purpose. Blah, blah, heard it all before, just not with roaches.

Thoughts? Or maybe you have a 3rd option?

Home of the Free Because of the Brave Signature
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Which Way Do I Go? · 10-05-24 11:38pm
by Schnujo is Prepping 5 Novels
Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 12:01am
by Showering Dutchessbarbie.
Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-07-24 12:46pm
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 12:25am
by Riverd0g
Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 2:22am
by Schnujo is Prepping 5 Novels
Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 4:52am
by severed head
Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 10:25am
by Sticky Draconic Vampire saysHH
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-07-24 12:50pm
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-07-24 12:48pm
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-07-24 12:47pm
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 11:39am
by QueenNormaJean Let's Go!Go!Go!
Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 5:02pm
by dogpack howling & prowling
Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 6:27pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 6:32pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 6:34pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-06-24 6:37pm
Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-07-24 1:07pm
by BattywynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-07-24 2:54pm
Re: Re: Which Way Do I Go? · 10-07-24 12:52pm
by BattywynšŸŽ¶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BattywynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3686284