*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3685265
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Log an assignment before 10/4.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 2, 2024 at 8:07pm
Edited: October 2, 2024 at 8:08pm
Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile
When I write S&S fantasy - which means characters can have some abilities beyond the norm - I use AD&D player character sheets. While I don't roll the dice for stats, I do make them up and enter them, with 9-11 being average, so that the people are compared against one another and the averages. I then use the AD&D rules to ensure that someone I've given a STR of 12 to (slightly above average) can't lift a portcullis on their own, but could batter a door down after a few shoulder tackles.

However, everything else, as a pantser, I let the characters talk to me and rely on the second draft to ensure that they are consistent.

For planners, though, I have encouraged some to use the old styled AD&D sheets for all genres. This gives comparisons between characters, and also places limits on them.

For those writers at the start of their writing journey, I encourage them to use aspects of people they know. I try to encourage them not to use just one person - there is a chance they will know they have become a character in someone else's book - but to combine at least two; however, this does mean the writer knows how the character will react because they know how the real person/people would react.

Anyway, here's something I prepared earlier: "20240214 Notes On Character
MESSAGE THREAD
October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 7:31pm
by Sticky Draconic Vampire saysHH
*Star* Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 8:07pm
by severed head
Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 9:06pm
by PennyWriter
Re: Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 9:07pm
by PennyWriter
Re: Re: Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 9:13pm
by severed head
Re: Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-02-24 11:26pm
by QueenNormaJean Let's Go!Go!Go!
Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-03-24 12:22am
by Fearlycia Lee ā˜®
Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-03-24 12:27am
by Fearlycia Lee ā˜®
Re: Re: October 3: Character- Protagonist Profile · 10-03-24 12:44am
by severed head

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BattywynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3685265