Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #2274535
30 exercises to help you outline the setting for your novel
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 3, 2024 at 10:25pm
Exercises 1, 2, and 3
by Averren
Exercise 1

Your inspirations – This book is about WWII. I love WWII history. I also love historical fiction.

An idea of naming conventions. The story takes place in France. I will, of course, be using French names in the work.

An idea of gender roles. Standard gender roles only.

An idea of era or technology level. Modern day referencing D-Day technology.

Any other significant factors you already have in mind. It is a story about personal growth as well.

Exercise 2

Climate and weather, including seasons. It starts in June, the French coastline. Summer weather

The topography (the natural and artificial physical features of an area). e.g. forests, water sources, soil and stone types, etc. The French coastline at Omaha and Utah beaches features a tall cliff line.

What's on the borders of your. I will have a lot of info to lean on. 'world'? Is it a city that gives way to rural land? A country bordering on another? A school district? The French coast at Normandy is dotted with smaller towns and villages.

Are there any key landmarks within the region that might develop significance? Like a hill with a fort, or a lighthouse on the coast, or a sprawling cave system? The WWII memorial sites at Normandy are vast. The story will focus on these sites. The most important area will be a small cave (imagined) just below the memorial at Point Du Hoc.

What restrictions does the area put on the people living there? What advantages does it offer that would have enticed people to settle there originally? No one may desecrate the memorials.

Exercise 3

Food and water. Modern day France, all modern conveniences for food and water.

Sanitation. Same answer as above, but for sanitation.

What is produced there? Do they export anything? Mostly farming communities in Normandy.

What isn't produced and has to be imported? Gasoline, etc.

Averren

Quill 2024 Nominee

Shameless plugs:

FORUM
HONORING OUR VETERANS   (ASR)
Of course there's a Veterans Day - EVERY DAY!
#423698 by Averren

FORUM
SENIOR CENTER FORUM  (ASR)
The Place for Seniors!
#427318 by Kit
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Exercises 1, 2, and 3 · 09-03-24 10:25pm
by Averren

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Tileira.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3677720