*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3591809
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 6, 2023 at 5:31pm
Edited: October 6, 2023 at 5:33pm
Day 7 thoughts
So we are moving in to our first contest entry, surrounding the protagonist tomorrow. And so to start the thought processes as to what makes a likeable protagonist, here's some food for thought.

When I think of what makes a character likable in a short period of time, I contemplate what makes a character likable.

One thing I have picked up on for my own writing includes creating empathy towards the characters. And, even if I am writing a fantasy story about a mage or a witch(in a more fantastical sense) there are things we can relate to. I might not know what it's like to wield a sword, cure a disease, or start a revolution. But I do know that my characters' wants, needs, and fears can speak to me, too regardless of their situation. My character might be the polar opposite of myself, but I can see my struggles still. For example, my character might be a mage, but she might be dealing with grief, love, or fear.

Our experiences are unique, and how we experience emotions will vary. But even still, a strong emotional connection between you, your reader, and your character can unite. It's like a triangle. And that's the beauty of reading and writing.

So now I want to ask: what makes characters relatable to you? What kinds of things make characters compelling? And, as we move into the next assignment, how do you intend to use those in your story?

For the SuperPower Reviewers
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Day 7 thoughts · 10-06-23 5:31pm
by Anders J. Miller-Go Big Red!
Re: Day 7 thoughts · 10-06-23 6:07pm
by QueenNormaJean gettinPomsready
Re: Day 7 thoughts · 10-06-23 6:08pm
by Hā€pe

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3591809