*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3591196
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 4, 2023 at 9:51am
Edited: October 4, 2023 at 9:53am
Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion
I love starting in medias res, and I likewise enjoy stories that start in medias res. Jumping around in time is a great way to plant clues and red herrings. One of my favorite devices (which works best in screenwriting, as far as I can tell - but feel free to give me literary examples) is when the writer shows the same scene over and over, each time providing a few more seconds of action or a new camera angle or perspective, and each time, it completely changes the viewer's interpretation of what happened during that scene.

My husband, on the other hand, ABHORS narratives that jump around in time (he's not a reader, so this specifically applies to screenwriting.) He finds it confusing and hard to follow.

So, however you choose to narrate your story, know that there will probably be an audience for it. Likewise, someone will probably complain about it. That's just the reality of entertaining.

Here are two articles listing celebrated novel opening lines. One lists literary classics, and one lists popular novels. What are your thoughts about the lists? Any favorites? Any you disagree with?

Opening lines from literary works  
Opening lines from popular books  

(there is some crossover, but the first list didn't include The Gunslinger, which, IMHO, absolutely has to be included in any "best opening lines" analysis. *Bigsmile*)

Cheers,
Michelle

Gift from Blue Witch
MESSAGE THREAD
Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 8:17am
by s
Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 8:46am
by Storm Machine
*Star* Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 9:51am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 10:36am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 10:50am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 11:48am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 12:53pm
by Anders J. Miller-Go Big Red!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 3:38pm
by Hā€pe
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-04-23 5:57pm
by QueenNormaJean gettinPomsready
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 4 suggestion · 10-05-23 2:31pm
by dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3591196