(337)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 17, 2023 at 10:39pm
entry 8/17/23
by Lorelei
Amelia stopped at the convenience store for some chips and a soda before going home. She gave the man a ten. As he gave Amelia her change, a poster caught her eye. It was the new seafood restaurant that everyone was raving about. “Win a lobster dinner for 2” it said.

“How do I enter that contest?” Amelia asked.

“Fill out the free slip,” he said handing her a paper.

Amelia took the paper and read it. “Why not,” she shrugged. “You never know. I’d love a free lobster dinner!” She filled out the slip and handed it back to him.

“The drawing is here at noon tomorrow,” he said. “If you can’t make it, they’ll call you if you win.”

“Great, thanks,” she said.

On the walk home, Amelia imagined winning. It’s been a while since she had a good meal like that. She’d take her roommate, Maddy. Maddy pretty much ate mac and cheese every night.

----------
“Amelia Stockton?” said the voice on the phone.

“Yes.”

“You’re the winner of the lobster contest! Congratulations!”

Amelia couldn’t believe it! She and Maddy would go tonight.

----------
Seated at this fine restaurant, they felt giddy.

“We have great lobsters tonight,” the waitress said. “I’ll go see the sizes.”

Amelia and Maddy were laughing and talking when the waitress came back. “Which size do you like?” she said as she held up two live lobsters.

They were speechless. The lobsters were wiggling and dripping all over the tablecloth. “This one’s a little bigger,” she said. “But not by much. Are they good for you?”

Although knowing where lobster dinners come from, they were still horrified meeting their minutes-away-from-dead meal.

I’ve changed my mind!” Amelia exclaimed as they both slid out of their chairs.

Mac and cheese sounded real good about now.

WC 300
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
entry 8/17/23 · 08-17-23 10:39pm
by Lorelei

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the twisted raccoon.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3578913