*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3558588
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Activity · #2109126
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:12pm
Re: Random Poetry Contest April 2023
Awesome! I see you were finally able to post your entry in Lilli's contest! Yay! Congratulations! *Delight* Note that every contest has different rules, so pay attention to them. *Wink*

For posting on here, you didn't do it exactly correctly, but this challenge is about writing and entering contests, not about posting perfectly. *Wink* I gave you credit for your April entry. *Bigsmile* I just give instructions on how to do it correctly and hope you do it right the next time. But I once had a lady who did all 12 entries wrong, one wrong entry each month, and I still gave her credit and her celebration at the end. *FacePalm* I have faith in you, though! *Bigsmile* *Laugh*

There are a couple of things you did wrong. First, you didn't include the curly braces before and after your code. They are located above the brackets. You posted post:2294448, but you should have posted {post:2294448} which would have resulted in "Re: They're coming!"  . *Bigsmile*

Also, if that link doesn't seem familiar, it's because you also used the wrong number. lol But either way, it's important to know how to create a correct post. lol You used the item number from your poem. That's how you post it for the contest. But for my challenge, I don't need to see your poem, I need to see your post. Every item and post have a different number and they are different from each other so 2294448 is the item number for your poem, but it links to a different post number in an unrelated forum (that I don't think you even have access to lol). One clue is that usually the correct number will auto-populate after the colon, assuming you didn't do a bunch of other posts in the meantime and you have decent internet. *Wink* When you are posting your poem for Lilli, you will post {bitem:#######} and when you type the colon, hopefully within a second or two, a dropdown menu will appear (if you have good enough internet and a decent computer) and you will see the last 8 things you've written. If that poem is one of the last 8 things, you can choose it from the dropdown menu without needing to know the actual item number. *Smile*

The same thing goes for the post. Unless you've posted in a bunch of forums since you posted your entry in the contest forum, you can easily post your proof of entry in the challenge forum without knowing the post number. The item number of the post is in the upper right corner of the post you have created. (There's no item number for it until you actually submit the post.) Again, you shouldn't have to copy the post number, but it's good to know where it is. (Also, you can edit your post using Edit, also located in that area. It's another handy thing to know. lol) Anyway, so the correct post number for your entry was 3558532. This is YOUR post number, not Lilli's post number. This links directly to YOUR response to her post. *Wink* You would create that post link in my forum with {post:3558532} which creates the link "Re: April entries!"  . You'll notice that is the title of your actual entry.

Also, I'm not sure if you purposely did it correctly or if it was by chance, but when responding in a forum, it's good to hit Reply to the exact person you are responding to so they get a notification. Responding in a forum isn't like responding in the Newsfeed. When you respond on the Newsfeed, the person who created that note and all other people who have also commented before you will get your response in their email (unless they check the box opting out of responses). In a forum response, if you just start typing in the box below, only the person directly above you gets notified of your response. So, if the next person to post an entry posts directly under you, but just uses the box and doesn't actually hit Reply to Lilli's original post, YOU will get an email notification of their entry, but SHE will not. In both cases, the entry will appear below yours, but who is notified of it differs.

Now, in the case of this contest, it's fine. Obviously, she will just go through the thread and check each entry, whether she gets a notification or not. But in some cases, it can make a difference. For example, if someone buys you and some other people raffle tickets to a raffle on here and you aren't the 1st person to thank them. Say I also got bought tickets, saw the tag and immediately went over to thank them. So, it's the original buyer's post and then mine. If you just post your thanks in the box below my response, I am the one who gets the notification of your thanks. The original person who bought you the tickets will never know you thanked them unless you tag them or they happen to come back to the forum and read that thread. Thus, to thank THEM, you hit Reply on THEIR post and then type your thanks in the box that appears. *Smile* But don't sweat it too much. Like half of WdC doesn't seem to realize this and even I make this mistake pretty regularly. *FacePalm*

In all coding cases, whether you are posting an entry to a contest or posting proof of that entry, you will use the curly braces located above the square brackets. *Bigsmile* Pretty much all code on WdC uses that. I say "pretty much" because you can do some emojis without code like :- D (without the space) makes *Bigsmile* but you can also use the code {e:BigSmile} to do it. I never do, but you can. lol

If you forget how to post in my forum, don't worry. I have examples posted just above my forum. In fact, when you click the link "Click here to SKIP TO THE FORUM" at the top of my challenge page, it will take you to where the examples are listed just above the forum. *Wink* Okay, I got distracted and lost track of what I was talking about. *Blush* Anyway, yeah, so WELCOME TO MY CHALLENGE! Let me know if you need help, but don't let confusion stop you from participating. I do my very best to accept any and all attempts at participation. *Bigsmile* Plus, remember that person who posted 12 straight months of wrong entries? Yeah, you probably won't be like that. *Think* *FacePalm* *Laugh* So, the bar isn't high. I am confident you can step over it. *Rolling*

Good luck and let me know if you have questions. Thank you for joining my challenge! I'm excited for you! *Delight* YOU GOT THIS! *Heart* *Heart* *Heart*

Easter signature

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo's in Alabama

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo's in Alabama

MESSAGE THREAD
Random Poetry Contest April 2023 · 04-22-23 1:48am
by tracker
Re: Random Poetry Contest April 2023 · 04-22-23 12:48pm
by Words Whirling 'Round
Re: Re: Random Poetry Contest April 2023 · 04-22-23 1:09pm
by Schnujo's in Alabama
*Star* Re: Random Poetry Contest April 2023 · 04-22-23 1:12pm
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Random Poetry Contest April 2023 · 04-22-23 1:38pm
by Words Whirling 'Round
Re: Re: Re: Random Poetry Contest April 2023 · 04-22-23 1:59pm
by Schnujo's in Alabama
Re: Re: Random Poetry Contest April 2023 · 04-22-23 4:33pm
by tracker
Re: Re: Re: Random Poetry Contest April 2023 · 04-28-23 10:42am
by Schnujo's in Alabama

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Schnujo's in Alabama.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3558588