Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(337)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 20, 2020 at 4:32pm
I'll Take Care of Everything 299 Words
A glowing red circle illuminates the dim office.
“Do not fail,” whispers the raspy voice. “If the package gets delivered, it will destroy our organization.”
“I understand. He trusts me,” Mack smirks, “I won’t fail.” His gold tooth shimmers in the failing light.
“I hope so. Succeed, and you will be handsomely rewarded.” The Don puffs his cigar. “Starting with your life.”

Later

Doc shrieks in a panic, “I’ve got to deliver this information to the council! It will change everything. My research will completely eradicate the system as we know it. But if it doesn’t arrive by midnight, it’ll all be for nothing!”
“Your work is monumental,” Mack soothes, “You should be proud of what you are about to do.”
The tension is broken by the piercing ring of Doc’s phone. “Yes...ok….but I…..can’t it wait…..I see. Goodnight.” Doc turns pale and ashen. “My friend, something has come up. I’m afraid there is no way I can deliver the package now. My God, what am I going to do?”
Mack breaks the pause, “I’ll take it.”
“Oh no, I couldn’t possibly ask you to do that.”
“Nonsense. I know what this means.”
“Would you?! Oh, thank you!” Doc sighs.
“You’re welcome. Thanks is not needed after what you’ve done.” Mack grabs the briefcase and starts for the door. He smiles - his gold tooth sparkles in the moonlight. “Don’t worry, I’ll take care of everything.”

Later

The Don’s doorbell chimes. Chomping on a new cigar he thrusts it opens. No one is there except a briefcase at his feet. “Good work!” he shouts down the empty hallway, “Your payment has been sent!” Giddy, he rolls the combination and gently opens it.
His eyes bulge; the cigar tumbles from his mouth. There is only a note: “Goodbye”
Boom.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
I'll Take Care of Everything 299 Words · 11-20-20 4:32pm
by sreeves311

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the twisted raccoon.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3386542