*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3344048
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(676)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #126963
A warm welcome to our newbies; come meet new and not-so-new members of Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 8, 2020 at 5:39pm
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
A while back, I bought a series called "How to Become a Great Essayist" from The Great Courses... I could lose YEARS on the different topics that they have on offer! My wife got tired of listening to me spin out various diatribes on some topic or another, so I decided that I'd work at becoming the next Great American Essayist.

My only problem is that I'm virtually paralyzed by imposter syndrome and crushing self-doubt. I know that I don't have it in me to build whole universes like some of the authors that I adore, but I might possibly be able to convince someone that I have something interesting to say. I just have to get over myself to put words to page and let other people read it.

One of my biggest issues, I've found, is that there are times that I have something that I think is either important enough or interesting enough to go on at some length about. Some idea that is worth exploring. I'll kick it around in my head for a while, then come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the energy to post it on, say, Facebook (which is, let's face it, much like Mos Eisley: A wretched hive of scum and villainy.) I'll even try to let the words out with my family, and they typically just give me That Look. You know the one. It says "Really? You're going to do that thing again?"

It can get a little... I don't know, disheartening? When met with ambivalence.

Does anyone else have similar struggles?
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket? · 05-08-20 5:39pm
by G. Michael VanTassle
Re: Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket? · 05-09-20 2:24am
by Wordsmitty ✍️
Re: Re: Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket? · 05-09-20 6:36am
by G. Michael VanTassle
Re: Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket? · 05-09-20 7:54am
by Beholden
Re: Re: Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket? · 05-09-20 5:33pm
by G. Michael VanTassle
Re: Re: Re: Where are we going and why am I in this handb... · 05-09-20 6:12pm
by Beholden
Re: Re: Re: Where are we going and why am I in this handb... · 05-09-20 7:36pm
by Wordsmitty ✍️

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3344048