*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3298314
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:57pm
Re: Hi, I just need an opinion

Well, imo (and it is just that - an opinion - you can tell me to f*** off and I'm cool with it - lol), if you need to get that out of your brain, get it out, but keep it separate from your story for now. You should have all the backstory you want as a writer - but only for yourself. I say this because you won't know what is necessary to put into the story, and you don't want to bog it down too much with the past or have it distract the reader - you want to keep the pace going. So if you keep it separate, you'll get your thoughts out and can put in what you need to, or figure out a different way to add it in, but you will have it at your disposal.

Put what is relevant to the story in flashbacks or try adding it in as dialogue, a diary entry, talking to a headstone of a deceased loved one, or their living pet, a taxi driver, a baby, have them shout it from an edge of a canyon or a note in a bottle, express it in painting/artistic ways, self-destructive hobbies - like skydiving/base jumping, shark diving w/o a cage and covered in seal blood, they go rolling down a steep snowcovered hill - bc they can't deal with their past . Get creative writer - the sky is the limit! *Smile*

They should be used to show a character's motive, fill in something important, or if you can't figure out another way to put it in.

Too much and a reader gets bored, and too little leaves the reader wondering or confused. Try to make a good balance, make sure it only makes the story better and moves it along, not slower or confusing. ehh, I hope that gives you a little help. *Smile* Keep on going kid!
MESSAGE THREAD
Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-05-19 12:17pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-05-19 1:44pm
by Joy
*Star* Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-05-19 1:57pm
by Dobie Mom
Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-05-19 4:29pm
by Roseille ā™„
Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-06-19 1:16am
by Sox and Sandals
Re: Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-06-19 9:29am
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Re: Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-06-19 10:41am
by Sharon.NJ
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hi, I just need an opinion · 10-06-19 1:59pm
by Chrys O'Shea

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3298314