*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3226369
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:11am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Collecting and Giving Merit Badges
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
I think the purpose of the Merit Badge Summary list is to show a picture of what the member is involved in around the community, what's important to them. This is the list we "carry around the site" with us in our handles. Having it show most-awarded badges first does a much, much better and faster job of providing that information (it is a summary) than an A-Z list that can be up to (today) 493 items long.

I don't know about you, but the thought of having to scroll through that long of a list while remembering and comparing a whole bunch of numbers and badge names really doesn't appeal to me. I've got better things to do with my time.

Different jobs for different pages. For some jobs A-Z is useless. If you're in shopping mode, the checklist is the proper page to be using for that job. That's the page with the built-in conveniences.

If "some who don't know" (because they didn't read the documentation first) are bothered by using the wrong page, that's a good thing because it means they're more apt to ask (or complain) about it, or to look it up, such as in Merit Badges and Achievements from Writing.Com 101 , which is conveniently linked at the top of the Merit Badge Shop page, and which has had this information in the FAQ section since August 21, 2015:

Is there an easy way to tell which Merit Badges a member does not have?
To view a member's Merit Badge Checklist page, left click the member's handle menu, click on Badges and at the top right of that page, click on *Boxcheck* View Checklist under *Gift* Send a Merit Badge. Or you can find the View Badge Checklist link on the member's Community tab under the Merit Badge Summary list. In the Merit Badge Checklist page, a Give it! link is shown beside the Merit Badges you are able to give, which the member doesn't already have. Clicking on a Give it! link opens the Merit Badge Shop page with that Merit Badge selected and the member's name pre-loaded in the order form.

Hope that helps.

*Snow2* *Snow2* *Snow2* Northernwrites___*Pencil*

~~Image #6000 Sharing Restricted~~ ~~Image #603504 Sharing Restricted~~
MESSAGE THREAD
Collecting and Giving Merit Badges · 10-24-18 9:54pm
by ~Brian K Compton~
Re: Collecting and Giving Merit Badges · 10-24-18 10:21pm
by Emily
Re: Collecting and Giving Merit Badges · 10-24-18 10:24pm
Re: Collecting and Giving Merit Badges · 10-30-18 6:27pm
by Whata SpoonStealer
Re: Re: Collecting and Giving Merit Badges · 10-30-18 8:25pm
by The ScaryMaster
Re: Re: Re: Collecting and Giving Merit Badges · 10-31-18 2:31am
by Whata SpoonStealer
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Collecting and Giving Merit Badges · 10-31-18 4:11am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Collecting and Giving Merit Badges · 10-31-18 4:30am
by Whata SpoonStealer

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3226369