*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3036585
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 31, 2016 at 4:26pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner'...
I've got a lot of good story starts and not many finished. My innate pantserish nature works against good literature, or at least finishing good literature. I realized that I needed Plot and Structure. I found "Plot and Structure," by James Bell a help.

Mr. Bell offers a couple of ideas that my swiss cheese brain can hold and utilize.

1) The L.O.C.K system which stands for a LEAD character introduced and supplied with an OBJECTIVE, something they must do or have (the best is staying alive) Then there must be CONFLICT standing in the way of the LEAD's OBJECTIVE all culminating in a KNOCKOUT ending.

2) The three act structure. As your story roams where it will, keep in mind that readers expect (or at least have become habituated to) a three act structure. It's not that much to try to do as you write. In the first act you introduce the character and his/her problem, the objective, and at the end of this first act the LEAD is presented with a door, will they go through in pursuit of the Objective? Well yes, of course, and having gone thru they can not return. Both doors 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd Act are one way only. In the second Half of your story, the second Act, your Lead strives for the OBJECTIVE, failing repeatedly with increasing drama until the Second one way door... Act three the KNOCKOUT resolution of the LEADS OBJECTIVE, succeeding or failing, and doing it in excitement filled riveting style.

And so you see. LOCK and Three Act structure. Not too much to keep in mind. I'll let you know how well it works for me when I reach my 2nd door and have my KNOCKOUT ending.

Hope that helps.

LSO
MESSAGE THREAD
Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 07-31-16 9:15pm
by remusmdh
Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-01-16 12:06pm
by Sir Various
Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-07-16 9:23am
by KMH
Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-13-16 4:52am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 10-07-16 4:34pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 10-30-16 7:08am
by Jewell
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner'... · 10-31-16 4:26pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 03-09-17 6:35pm
by MaryThornell

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3036585