*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2929969
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 29, 2016 at 8:14pm
Bad Writing.... My Rant
Re-reading through my Sci-Fi collection, I came to the one I'm now reading..( or attempting to read.. The Authors, 2 in this case, have done EVERYTHING I Hate )

First I'll talk about Repetition of Names... quite often the Full Name.

On page 70 something I pretty well Know who 'SHE' is, but the author finds it necessary to Repeat 'Carol' so I won't forget... I guess he thinks I'm an idiot.

The MFC is swimming, quite alone, 1/4 mile out from the beach, thinking about what got her started on this venture. ( she's a Reporter )
Her name, sometimes her Full Name is mentioned 10 times on that page.

It gets worse. Attempting to rent a Charter Boat, 'she' is now talking to the Captain.
Each is named 6 times on that page... Always 'Captain Full Name', never 'He'... And when he leers at her and speaks... I know he is speaking, but the author lets me know anyway... with a Tag-Line embedded in the quote..( another thing I hate)
And EVERY line of dialogue is broken to insert that UNNECESSARY Tag-Line.

[ Captain Full Name leered at Name. "So you want to Charter my boat," Captain Name asked,"for this afternoon?"] I'm soooo glad I now know he was asking a question... I may have missed that ' ? '.

It gets worse. We are introduced to the Captain's First Mate.. ( now there are 3, but thankfully her name is just Eva ).. Eva's name is mentioned 6 times, Carol 6 times and the Captain 5 times on that page.
(( you can tell how exciting the story is... I spend more time counting than reading))

Next I'll mention Endless Descriptions.
Carol was wearing a blue one-piece swimsuit on her swim... The author used 1/4 page to describe it. I did it in 4 words. Eva was wearing a black leotard with an open back and prominent bulges in the front.. that used up nearly half a page.
Carol was using specialized Eqpt. in her search of the sea floor... Two and a half pages were used to describe, in infinite detail, how the eqpt worked. However she didn't know any of that. She just knew where the 'on' switch was.

Everyone in the story gets a Full Bio... mostly unnecessary, but it does increase the 'word count'.

Things in a story that just seem 'improbable'.
The Navy lost a missile that went off-course.. they have been searching for 5 days.
Carol charters a boat for ONE AFTERNOON, searches 10 sq. miles of sea bottom, and FINDS IT????? With enough time to make a Dive down to it??

I hadn't decided if I even wanted to finish the story. Now I know.

So misters Arthur C Clark and Gentry Lee, your book 'Cradle' is headed for my BURN PILE.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Bad Writing.... My Rant · 01-29-16 8:14pm
by bobneH .. aka.. just bob
Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 01-31-16 2:58pm
by Tobber
Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 01-31-16 5:11pm
Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-01-16 12:58am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-01-16 5:30pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-02-16 1:06am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-02-16 1:33am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-02-16 10:25am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-05-16 7:57pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-05-16 5:48pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-05-16 7:06pm
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-05-16 10:00pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Writing.... My Rant · 02-06-16 3:34am
by Tobber

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2929969