*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2889539
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 9, 2015 at 12:37am
My ability to come up with names has abandoned me!
OK, so that title was a bit melodramatic as I've actually managed to name just about everyone in this thing. Of the main characters, whether POV or not, all of them have good names that reflect who they are in my head. Moira is a character surrounded by questions of fate and free will, Agrippa is named after a great general (and, in particular, a fictional version of him that I really latched on to), Corvus is the Latin for crow and crows are the birds of battle (a murder of crows, remember?), Philo means friend, Timon comes from Timon of Athens (it's not a perfect match, but the character ultimately turns against humanity), Otho sounds like odious to me, Eamon means "fortunate protector" which is pretty much literally what he is, etc...

But when it comes to coming up with Otho's title, nothing is coming. He is the leader of the Flagellum Dei (scourge of God--a flagellum is a small whip), also called the Burnt Men. They get this name because, as part of their final initiation, they literally stick their face into the Fire of God. It's not for long, mind, but it's enough to cause awful burns to the face. Earlier rites include burning the hands, etc. They believe that this proves they have burned their sins away, but also as a reminder that they're imperfect copies of God. They are, if you haven't noticed, a very hard line sect of extremists. They believe that God is supreme and the Goddess is a lesser creature who only enjoys power because of God, which is pretty typical of Easterners, but they also believe that the Goddess is a petty, jealous creature who plans on teaming up with the Adversary (Samuil...ie Satan) to take down God. This is fundamentally wrong, but with Samuil's manipulation...it starts to seem true to Easterners. (The story is ultimately very much humanity-versus-itself, even though supernatural forces do mess around a bit.)

I am having the HARDEST TIME coming up with a title that makes sense. It has to translate into Latin, but Princeps is out because that's what the Emperor is called (Imperator or Princeps Civitatis), and Pater Supernus (Father Superior) just doesn't sound...cool enough. Any ideas, fellow Preppers?
-Quaddy

*Reading* Check this Out! *Reading*
 The Earth Rising Quartet  (XGC)
Five-hundred years ago, Earth lost its rebellion. Now it's time for it to rise again...
#1837269 by Professor Q

*Down*Come Join In!*Down*
 The Dissolution of Alkonost   (GC)
A desert metropolis falls and magick fails in its seams. Who dares rise to save it?
#1968212 by Professor Q

*ThumbsUp*Best Contest Alert!*ThumbsUp*
FORUM
October Novel Prep Challenge  (13+)
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
#1474311 by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶

Commissioned by my August SA and created by Pixie

"Make music. Break Boundaries. End Hate." Professor Q
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
My ability to come up with names has abandoned me! · 10-09-15 12:37am
by Professor Q
Re: My ability to come up with names has abandoned me! · 10-09-15 1:20am
by Patrece ~
Re: Re: My ability to come up with names has abandoned me! · 10-09-15 1:35am
by Professor Q
Re: Re: Re: My ability to come up with names has abandone... · 10-09-15 6:07am
by abbyer
Re: Re: Re: My ability to come up with names has abandone... · 10-09-15 9:41am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: My ability to come up with names has abandoned me! · 10-09-15 8:53am
by Cheri Annemos
Re: My ability to come up with names has abandoned me! · 10-09-15 9:17am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: My ability to come up with names has abandoned me! · 10-09-15 9:35am
by Sharon.NJ
Re: Re: Re: My ability to come up with names has abandone... · 10-09-15 10:33am
by Eric the Fred
Re: Re: My ability to come up with names has abandoned me! · 10-09-15 9:37am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: My ability to come up with names has abandone... · 10-09-15 5:50pm
by Professor Q

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2889539