*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2791223
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 11, 2015 at 5:11am
Edited: February 11, 2015 at 5:16am
Public Reviews of an Item made accessible from Item Page.
by Lionel
Hi, I'm a fan of WDC - especially of the Reviewing System(s) in place.

[THE SUGGESTION]

Please make public reviews of an item accessible from the item page.

[OBSERVATIONS]

Currently, assuming that the appropriate settings are enabled...

-We can see an item's aggregate 'star rating' on the the page.

-We can find Public Reviews of an item by searching in the 'Public Review Page', however, such reviews must be 31 days or newer.

-A user's Public Reviews (even those older than 31 days) may be viewed from their profile.

[THE "GAP"]

It seems that while older reviews remain 'available', it is only possible to find them if we know the reviewer.

[POTENTIAL MERITS OF THE SUGGESTION]

1. Much like the Public Review Page, this would generate additional exposure to new reviewers/reviews. Unlike the Public Review Page however, this exposure remains in play even after 31 days.

2. Good way to find compatible reviewers within a given genre. e.g. If I am browsing "Fantasy" items, and notice a consistently insightful reviewer, I can now 'find them' even if they have not made any Public Reviews of "Fantasy" items in the last 31 days.

3. Reviewer Improvement: another reviewer may have made insightful suggestions which I had not considered. Reading a different review on the same item can help improve my reviews going forward!

4. Create new opportunities for dialogue within the WDC community. You may have read an item and wish to talk about it with someone else - well now you know who they are!

[BONUS ROUND]

While I don't think the average item receives enough reviews to warrant this additional feature, it may be an idea to include the option,

"DID YOU FIND THIS REVIEW HELPFUL? X people have rated this review as helpful."

While an author will already be 'clued in' if one 'problem' area is mentioned across several reviews, having a highly rated review will draw further attention (or prevent succumbing due to a well-meaning but off-base review).

Thanks for your time, hopefully, you've found this suggestion worthwhile.

Best,
L
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Public Reviews of an Item made accessible from Item Page. · 02-11-15 5:11am
by Lionel
Re: Public Reviews of an Item made accessible from Item P... · 02-11-15 12:48pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: Public Reviews of an Item made accessible from It... · 02-11-15 11:11pm
by Lionel

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2791223