*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2743737
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore. Prep 2024 signups now open!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 5, 2014 at 9:27am
Re: Re: Re: The Struggle is Real!
Indeed; no story is quite as fun without various shades of gray. I prefer to explore motivations, so gray works just fine for me.

You're right. No matter the goals or ideals, the antagonist is the person who stands against the character around whom the story revolves. Needless to say, if a character we'd previously identified as an "antagonist" actually became the focal point of the story, he or she would switch roles.

I think that's part of the fun of Prep--learning which characters we want to focus on, debating the pros and cons of changing the focus of the story. I know it's proving to be great fun for me.

I'm reasonably certain that the character my protagonist identifies as an enemy will simply end up being an easy target for his accusations, so in the overall scheme of things, he's not a true antagonist (more of a deuteragonist, if we're getting right down to it, since the story will [probably] focuses on both of them as they recognize the inequalities in their world and try to act to change them in their own ways), but "antagonist" is an easy enough label to pin on him for now.

Prep is helping me figure things out, but so many things are up in the air. Nothing's super-glued in place at the moment. *Bigsmile* I think that's part of the charm of it.

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "Invalid Item *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
The Struggle is Real! · 10-04-14 10:48am
by Sara♥Jean
Re: The Struggle is Real! · 10-04-14 12:09pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: The Struggle is Real! · 10-04-14 12:11pm
by Sara♥Jean
Re: The Struggle is Real! · 10-04-14 4:06pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: The Struggle is Real! · 10-04-14 4:08pm
by Sara♥Jean
Re: Re: Re: The Struggle is Real! · 10-04-14 4:21pm
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: The Struggle is Real! · 10-05-14 5:45am
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: The Struggle is Real! · 10-05-14 8:52am
by Medvekoma
*Star* Re: Re: Re: The Struggle is Real! · 10-05-14 9:27am
by Roseille ♥

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2743737