*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2581619
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
Starts Oct. 1st! A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 11, 2013 at 3:57pm
Re: Day 9 Complete: Required and Bonus
Try not to let it get you down too much. I think this is a time of slowing down for most as now the fleshing out of our books is starting to occur which is more detailed and more difficult... at least for me.

I can relate to your feelings though as I feel used to failure as well, but I think we tend to feel like we fail ourselves more than anything, so just take some deep breaths and try out a few different suggestions people have mentioned. Michelle had some great ones!

My brain works in over drive and I can't focus on my story as a whole or I'll fail miserably so I let my brain take lead on my assignments. Yes, I do them in order but the content isn't always supreme for that day, if you know what I mean. Sometimes it feels like utter crap and useless. But if you let your brain relax and try and just take notes, or write what it feels like as far as your story, over a period of time you'll see your brain making some good connections or leaving tid bits of gold that you can work into your book.

Like Michelle mentioned, when i go to bed, I like to start my next couple of assignments. I let my brain mull over the info and write a couple sentences or ideas. Then usually first thing in the morning (or a couple days later) I can go back to one of the assignments and complete it a bit more, then I go back to it later an add on to it through out the day. Then at night once again I look at the few next assignments, and rinse and repeat and its slowly coming together... It feels like its TOO slowly sometimes but progress is progress. The important part is to not let yourself get stagnant.

Don't try TOO hard because sometimes forcing it really puts a block and makes it no fun which leads to us abandoning our ideas. Have fun with it, try a lot of what ifs and don't be afraid when your story takes off in a completely different direction unexpectedly or changes a character or setting completely (this happened to me MULTIPLE times). I've had my major ideas I was proud of from Day 1 be completely over hauled!!

We all have some "flat" days, all authors do I think, so don't get discouraged, just keep posting and getting encouragement and trying different approaches. Don't give up!

Remember don't go into this expecting to write the "Next Big Thing" (I know we all dream of that happening =P). I came into this with the hope of seeing if I could discipline myself enough to just write, even its awful, because like you, I'm used to failing and giving up. You're not alone!! This time I refuse to fail even if my brain does, and you should refuse too! You're succeeding simply by putting in the effort!! give yourself credit everyday just for trying even if nothing comes of it and eventually you'll find yourself less discouraged by days like this. *Smile*

You can do it, Emerald!!

*Moon* Darleen
Day 9 Complete: Required and Bonus · 10-10-13 4:38pm
by EmeraldCastrol
Re: Day 9 Complete: Required and Bonus · 10-10-13 6:11pm
by Crys-not really here
Re: Day 9 Complete: Required and Bonus · 10-11-13 10:06am
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Day 9 Complete: Required and Bonus · 10-11-13 3:58pm
by 🌑 Darleen - QoD
Re: Re: Re: Day 9 Complete: Required and Bonus · 10-12-13 2:26am
by Angelica Weatherby-4DaystilOct
*Star* Re: Day 9 Complete: Required and Bonus · 10-11-13 3:57pm
by 🌑 Darleen - QoD

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2581619