*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2341634
by Riot
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Other · #1761904
Want to introduce yourself? Looking to just chat? Have some coffee with us!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 3, 2012 at 9:57am
Re: Introduction
by A Non-Existent User
Riot is correct but none of those things are important either. You want proof you can write, then write. Give them something to read. On the left hand side of your screen there is an option called writing resources. Start there. Then check your local library for a resource book that lists all the publishers both magazine and books as well as what they require for submission. I can't remember the name of it right off the top of my head... My oldest daughter has my copy.

Google fiction magazines. Check them out and see what they require and submit to the one that fits what you do the best. Putting our info on your website isn't going to do you any good. No one cares about our info. They care about you, and whether or not you can write. Even then, test scores have very little to do with life outside of College. I have never had anyone ever ask me what I scored on the ACT unless they were about to take it themselves or I was wanting to take a college course. Those things just don't matter in real life.

You can be an uneducated, never even heard of school, kind of person who taught themselves how to read and still get published as long as your stuff is good. Agents don't look at your test scores they look at the quality of your writing and if you have been published before. Magazines are the usual place to cut your teeth, if you just feel you have to have some kind of proof you can write. There are a lot of small publishing houses out there that prefer you don't have an agent. A couple of bigger ones too. Get published with them and the agents will find you.

No, I'm not published yet. But, I have taken several writing courses where my instructors were published and I am giving you the same advice they gave me. Relax. That much tension leads to a lack of creativity.

As to the Blog thing... Its all marketing. Meaning, you have to get people to read your blog first. How do you do that? You post to other peoples blogs doing the same thing you are and leave behind your blog address. But, take it from me... No one is getting rich off of blogs. You have to put more effort into researching your product recommendations than is worth the money you make.

Plus do you see the irony in stating its nice to find a place where we aren't all trying to make money from blogs then ask us about the best place to do that? We are all here so we won't be there. I have two blogs here. One is about my life and my struggles and could never sell anything. The other is about my writing and the steps I am taking to improve the novel I am working on. I can safely put it here because no one is going to make a negative comment about the paragraph I am working on for step two of the snowflake method. They will however, make suggestions on what might make it better.

Creativity has to be nurtured and grown like a child not forced into the limelight and pray it survives. There is no such thing as get rich quick or becoming famous overnight. Those that do, tend to become targets for scorn.

The best writing advice I ever heard came from the author of Dragon Riders of Pern....I will have to paraphrase but essentally she said, The secret to getting published is to write your story, edit your story, submit your story, read the rejection letter, make any adjustments suggested if any are suggested, and submit it again. Keep submitting until someone says yes. Eventually they will."

Thats how you get published. Good luck. :)

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
"Invalid Item
"WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group"The WDC Angel Army
"Invalid Item"Invalid Item
Check out my Rising Star Bookiemonster
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** ** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Introduction · 01-02-12 5:05pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Introduction · 01-02-12 7:41pm
by Riot
*Star* Re: Introduction · 01-03-12 9:57am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Riot.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2341634