*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2145941
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 4, 2010 at 4:24pm
Re: Re: TABLES
by Jeff
I'm not going to pretend to know anything about web programming (you don't want to see the websites I've written myself *Laugh*), but is there maybe a way to make the table feature (at least as far as opening and closing the table code) an automatic insert... kind of like you can do with the WritingML formatting bar? I'm not sure if you could then disable people from using those tags manually and formatting it themselves... and you'd still have to rely on them to remember to go outside the closed table tag to write the rest of the page (hmm, I'm beginning to see why this has been debated for 10 years *Laugh*), but clicking on a feature button to put open and close tags for the table that could then be worked inside might dramatically reduce the number of wonky pages (since the errors would all be contained within the table itself, and not the whole page).

Like I said, though... I'm no programmer, so you've probably already considered this. *Smile*

Alternately, maybe there's a way to include a table as an image? I know we can create documents... but those documents have to be linked like an item. Is there a way to allow the creation of spreadsheets (like Excel) in the format of an image, so you could use a writingML tag to actually display it, rather than link to it? Then we could at least create tables that could be inserted into a forum or item that would display properly.

I realize that we could probably do that now, by saving the file as an image file... but we'd still be restricted to the 400x400 image size. Maybe the table "image" format could be expanded to allow us to set the width and height, kind of like we can set it on our account display settings. (Or, the width could be fixed - to accommodate all browsers - but the height could be unspecified or adjustable to account for larger tables.)

Am I just rambling at this point? I think the painkillers are kicking in again. Man, they give you good stuff after surgery... *Laugh*

- S o C a l S c r i b e
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.

Please check out my community items:
"Unofficial Erotica Newsletter Group
"The Dark Society
"Blogocentric Formulations
MESSAGE THREAD
TABLES · 10-04-10 3:07pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: TABLES · 10-04-10 3:30pm
by The StoryMaster
*Star* Re: Re: TABLES · 10-04-10 4:24pm
by Jeff
Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-04-10 4:38pm
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-04-10 4:55pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-04-10 5:06pm
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-05-10 12:29am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-05-10 1:03am
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-05-10 1:17am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-05-10 1:27am
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-05-10 2:14am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-05-10 10:09am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: TABLES · 10-04-10 4:25pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: TABLES · 10-04-10 4:36pm
by The StoryMaster

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2145941