*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1530586
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 18, 2007 at 3:38pm
Re: Conveying yourself or the character
I once had an editor read my poem 'Brighton's Bar & Grill,' then tell me that 'The writing defines the writer.' (The poem is about a jaded barfly looking for love - or a reasonable facsimile of it for an evening - in all the wrong places.) He then got all fixated on me, to the point where I considered filing a restraining order.

I finally screamed "I made it up, you ass!" and told several people to keep him away from me.

I've had people assume, from reading other poems of mine, that I was a rape victim, a battered wife, and a regretful woman who'd undergone an abortion for medical reasons. I am NONE of those things.

So here's the deal: Either you've written your character so realistically that people who've had some relevant, similar experience assume you must have lived it and written it from personal experience, or the people commenting on it wouldn't know "fiction" if it hit them with a 2x4, or you've revealed more of the inner workings of your psyche and your personal experiences than you care to admit, even to yourself. (It's an insidious little game we learn to play with dead authors in grad school Lit programs. Truly meaningless, but lots of fun if you have no life.)

If you write erotica, everyone assumes you're a sex worker looking to launch a second career as a writer. Why is it, then, that if you write convincingly detailed and twisted murder mysteries, no one assumes you know whereof you speak, first-hand? I think it's just a tiny bit unfair, don't you?

Search "writing" AND "mary sue" - and the notion that any believable character is a Mary Sue must come from the same folks who learned in school that passive voice was EVIL, EVIL, I tell you!! Or those people who say "Write what you know" and assume it means if you're a school teacher in NYC you couldn't POSSIBLY write a touching story about a black construction worker on hard times who travels to Alaska to work in a fish cannery. I mean, maybe - if you've never been unemployed, never struggled to make ends meet, never worried about how to feed or care for your family (or watched your parents worry about how to feed and care for you)... maybe. But if writers stuck to what they know, we'd have a lot of boring books about writing.

Hmm. Hold that thought.

Seriously, though - show us. Maybe we can pinpoint the problems. I know that with some of my poetry, just eliminating the word "I" as much as possible - casting it in third person - helped. It had a more universal appeal that way, because more people were apt to assume it wasn't written strictly from MY point of view.

ASIN: 141163103X
Product Type: Book
Amazon's Price: $ 17.07
ASIN: 1411644476
Amazon's Price: $ 16.12
MESSAGE THREAD
Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 1:33pm
by Amarisa
Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 2:18pm
by Marcia Landa
*Star* Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 3:38pm
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 4:26pm
by Amarisa
Re: Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 10:21pm
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 5:50pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 7:21pm
by Marcia Landa
Re: Re: Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 9:09pm
by Amarisa
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 9:41pm
by Marcia Landa
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 10:19pm
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 10:47pm
by Amarisa
Re+: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-19-07 12:09am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re+: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-19-07 1:16am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Re+: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-19-07 1:44am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Re: Re+: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-19-07 2:34pm
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re+: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-20-07 3:53pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re+: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-20-07 7:02pm
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 10:29pm
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 10:24pm
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 06-18-07 3:52pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Conveying yourself or the character · 07-09-07 11:38pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1530586