*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1457025
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 19, 2007 at 4:31pm
Re: Awards
by Sage
I like this idea. I think something like this would be a wonderful way of showing how much a piece of writing means to a lot of people and not just one like an awardicon generally does (besides the times where people pooled their GP together to get something a trophy or something.) Maybe even have a limit to how much people can donate per item, or else it will kind of feel just like getting another awardicon if someone donates it all or a good portion of it.

I don't like that it should be a way to upgrade current awardicons. The original award means a lot to the receiver and the giver of it, and upping it through donations just seems a bit strange to me. I think if anything this should be something seperate, a third kind of way of showing appreciation to a piece of writing (awardicons and merit badges being the other ones). Kind of like your post just before this about a writing appreciation award.

I think this also is a nice counter to the current trend of buying merit badges and awardicons at auctions and other events around the site which, as you stated and I agree with 200%, cheapens their value (only the ones that are bought, though.)

It's also a great way for people of the particular piece of writing to get together and show appreciation for it. To pool for a trophy currently, you have to know who is collecting the GP and that it's actually being collected. Usually this is just between good friends. A contributory award allows strangers across the site a way to unite right at the item itself and show support/praise for it without having to know each other.

I don't know how feasible this is, or if it's even something the staff have in mind for the future of the site, but I think something on this idea is a great way to show unity in the site while promoting and supporting others' writing.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

Authors worth notice -

Ms Kimmie
Jay's debut novel is out now!
Wenston
Aradne
keatingb
Ferris - Extra Warriors Needed

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Awards · 02-19-07 4:02pm
by Mark
*Star* Re: Awards · 02-19-07 4:31pm
by Sage
Re: Re: Awards · 02-19-07 6:52pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Awards · 02-19-07 4:59pm
by Keep it creepy,fuzzy & staiNed

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryWitchress.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1457025