*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1439872
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 22, 2007 at 6:25pm
Re: Writers help books?
I've found that there comes a time when you just have to shut up and start writing, yes. But I do read books about writing and I research about writing and I talk to other writers about writing. We do a craft like any other, you wouldn't look down on a carpenter because he took a woodshop class, and you would expect your plumber to have some sort of qualifications to call himself a plumber.

Having said that, it's very easy to use these sorts of things as an excuse not to write. I know in the past I could spend all day here on WDC and not do any writing but still claim to have 'worked' because I was talking about writing, and reading, and reviewing. But the truth of the matter is I had zero wordcount or progress on my own projects which gets me nowhere for my own future in this career.

I also find that reading about writing, talking to other writers and hanging out on this website are great motivation and moral boosters. I am ALWAYS without exception inspired after reading books about writing. My friends and the reviews on this site generally perk me up and give me a boost in my lagging confidence as a writer. All of these things have kept me writing over the years. So, "Just Do It" is a good way to remind yourself that you have to have balance. You have to decide to write and write but you also have to give yourself a chance to relax and absorb, learn from and lean on others.

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Writers help books? · 01-22-07 5:16pm
by Majik
*Star* Re: Writers help books? · 01-22-07 6:25pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Writers help books? · 01-22-07 10:26pm
by Plot 101
Re: Writers help books? · 01-22-07 11:46pm
by Kate - Writing & Reading

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1439872