*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1420325
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 20, 2006 at 10:24am
Re: "Don't prostitute your art that way"
*chuckles* Seems we're at a loss to find anyone in here that believes selling our work is prostitution. Then again I'm all for prostitution, if I could make a living selling my body I probably would, it must be easier then being a writer by trade. *ponders and winks* As for me, I think since I write full time and have a house and two kids to feed and clothe it would be a pitiful existance if I didn't earn anything from writing. I'd actually have to go out and get one of those 'day job' things people keep telling me about.

Writers sell a service. It's something unique, that no one could offer exactly the same way we do and as such it's especially valuable. People want to be entertained. People around the world love to read. We provide them with content, they reward our time, effort, and sweat with the means to sustain life. It's like saying a brickie's going to lay bricks just cause he likes the fact he's building a house. Yeah RIGHT! Give me the number of a brickie who works on that mindset. Carpenters love to carve and work wood but they can't do what they love if they don't sell the chair they just made. How would they continue to afford more wood? Artists in all modes 'prostitute' their art. The only ones who don't must be very rich from other means, have a 'real job', or like to live in a gutter scrapping the cheese off empty pizza boxes from garbage cans.

Ok, went into rant mode. Forgive me. Basically it doesn't seem to make any sense not to believe your writing is worth recompense. On WDC we love to get GP's and reviews. To me that's payment for my writing. In some places just getting published is a validation of my work there. But mostly I'm aiming for paid markets because I couldn't afford to be a writer if I were doing it for free.

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
"Don't prostitute your art that way" · 12-09-06 5:12am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: "Don't prostitute your art that way" · 12-09-06 7:48am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: "Don't prostitute your art that way" · 12-09-06 7:56am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: "Don't prostitute your art that way" · 12-09-06 8:47pm
by Kritter
Re: "Don't prostitute your art that way" · 12-10-06 11:31pm
by Liam Jackson
*Star* Re: "Don't prostitute your art that way" · 12-20-06 10:24am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1420325