*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1375901
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 26, 2006 at 12:27am
Re: hundreds of notes
by Talanis
First I have to ask, how are you writing these notes? Point form? Or written out? Second, where do you write them?

For me, I've never had a problem with ideas. I quite literary watch movies inside my head. When I write, I merely describe what I see in my mind. Unfortunately, I sometimes watch the movie past the point I'm watching and when I 'rewind' the film, a somewhat different scene plays out.

For the book I'm writing right now, I wrote out what I considered key points. It was usually only a single sentence describing the point in the story line. After writing them out, I cut the plot points out and posted them on my bedroom wall in the order they were to occur. That way, I could easily see where the story need to go. That did two things; one, it kept me from consistently re-writing what I had already watched in my head fifty different way. And two, it gave me a clear idea of where the story was and what needed to happen.

Try that, see if it helps. You also said you get too many ideas and aren't sure they're related. Like I said, make sure you write out the idea in full sentences. Point form is easier, sure, but it doesn't help you in the long run. Once you've written out all the ideas, cut them out and see which ones could be related, put them in a single pile. At the end, you might find you have several piles. All you gotta do then is figure out how you're going to link all those points together and make a story outta each pile ;)

Well, hope those ideas help. Maybe some people'll give you other if they these don't help. At anyrate, we'll see you 'round.

- T

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

- W. Somerset Maugham

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1090903 by Not Available.
MESSAGE THREAD
hundreds of notes · 09-20-06 8:35pm
by AXiLeA
Re: hundreds of notes · 09-20-06 9:04pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: hundreds of notes · 09-20-06 9:15pm
by AXiLeA
Re: hundreds of notes · 09-21-06 4:29am
by Lori Basiewicz
*Star* Re: hundreds of notes · 09-26-06 12:27am
by Talanis
Re: Re: hundreds of notes · 09-26-06 1:56am
by AXiLeA

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1375901