*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1367934
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 12, 2006 at 2:21pm
Re: names
by A Non-Existent User
*new here, but caught my eye*

Names can be a touchy subject among writers, I think. Personally, names are incredibly important to me. I keep a "Baby Names" book in easy reach; meanings of the names are very important. I don't know why there's not a book of just "names," it's always "baby names." Babies grow up!

Okay, that aside. . . . Consider, for example, my handle: Aiyana Mausi Oki. This is a name I searched long and hard for--and as far as internet searches there's no results! I wanted a name to describe me, and making a character is equally important. I looked up meanings of words, and my handle is the result for my pseudonym: Aiyana means "forever blooming [or flowering], and is from a Native American language (I'm not sure which). Mausi means "plucked flower" and is also Native American-- this particular name has alternate spellings, and I chose this one because I like how it looks. Oki means "in the middle [or center] of the ocean" and is Japanese. So, all together it means, "Forever blooming, plucked flower, in the center of the ocean." This is what I consider myself.

Along the line of name origins, I think it's an important aspect to make a character believable. You don't want a German character with a name of "Oki." That would require some explanation! Nor would you want an Asian character with a name like Wolfgang!

In summary, I choose names based on: meaning, origin, appearance.

Hope that helps! *Bigsmile*

~~AiMaKi (notice the two letters from each of my full name)
~~formerly Breeze

Such is my lot in life;
Living and learning,
carpe diem
~~Aiyana Mausi Oki~~/AiMaKi *Laugh* ©
Formerly, ~~Breeze

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
names · 08-30-06 1:19am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: names · 08-30-06 1:43am
by Silence
Re: Re: names · 08-30-06 2:25am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: names · 08-31-06 1:27pm
by dragonfly~guess who's back?
Re: Re: Re: names · 09-03-06 1:27am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: names · 09-06-06 12:46am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: names · 09-06-06 1:01am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Re: names · 09-06-06 11:30pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: names · 09-08-06 2:49am
by Liam Jackson
*Star* Re: names · 09-12-06 2:21pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1367934