*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1101337
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Activity · #974961
Any questions, messages, comments, or items to plug? Dial k-n-e-t-o.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 16, 2005 at 1:42pm
Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for?
I used to dread seeing "Anonymous" in my Inbox. But with measures in place to prevent abuse (remember that "Anonymous" is not anonymous to The ScaryMaster ), and given that much - if not most - of my interactions with Anonymous here has been positive, I feel differently now.

I rarely rate/review anonymously. On the rare occasions when I've done so, my reasons have been varied:

- Concern over possible backlash. My reviews are completely honest, sometimes blunt. I don't mind a bit of debate, but I'm not looking for a flamewar. If I see that a writer isn't good at taking constructive criticism, but still feel compelled to review something of his, I MAY do so anonymously.

- Concern over recipient thinking I'm biased - either way. I'm as likely to use this when giving a 5 as a 1.

- Rating/reviewing prior to a contest closing. I try not to do that at all, but if I do, I may do so anonymously so as not to give the recipient the idea that they stand a better or worse chance of winning the contest. Even if my rating's a 3, it could be a better entry than the others - I don't want to discourage the author. If my rating's a 5, there could still be better entries - I don't want to give the author false hope.

- When giving a gift, if I'm afraid the recipient will feel obligated to return a favor. The gift could be tangible, or it could be a "port raid" (I haven't used Anonymous for the latter, but would consider it a legitimate reason to do so). I don't want anyone feeling they "owe" me reviews. I only want reviews from people who are interested enough in my writing to read it and review it on their own initiative, for the most part.

"Hate raters" won't get far using anonymous, considering that abuse won't be tolerated by the staff.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-16-05 5:56am
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-16-05 12:34pm
by esprit
Re: Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-16-05 12:43pm
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Re: Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-16-05 1:14pm
by luvccritters2
Re: Re: Re: Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-16-05 1:23pm
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-16-05 1:34pm
by Vivian
Re: Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-17-05 5:10am
by spiral kinetochore
*Star* Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-16-05 1:42pm
by Holly Jahangiri
*** Deleted Message *** · 07-17-05 4:52am
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-17-05 5:12am
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-16-05 4:34pm
by Lexi
Re: Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 07-17-05 5:14am
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 08-23-05 2:23pm
by Feywriter
Re: Re: Anonymous Reviews: What're they for? · 08-23-05 10:31pm
by spiral kinetochore

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, spiral kinetochore.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1101337