*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929175-Objectivity
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#929175 added February 19, 2018 at 5:03pm
Restrictions: None
Objectivity
Prompt: What do you think objectivity is, and as humans, can we really experience anything objectively?


---------------------------

I don’t think absolute objectivity can exist. We can only be relatively objective. The simplest reason is we can only know and experience what our conditions let us know and experience.

Speculating further on the subject, objectivity, in its loosest form, means making decisions based on the facts rather than personal feelings or beliefs. Yet, can we really be objective when what is given to us to experience the world with is a brain and five senses, all different from the other species on this planet?

In other words, no completely objective structure exists, and I suspect not only differences among the species but even the human beings must be in place. For example, something that tastes too sweet for me is usually not sweet enough for my husband.

Still, when we are able to have some choice in how we act and we are free to choose our behavior, we can do so. Still, our actions and choices depend on our background and how it has affected us. This means we can be objective, but only partially so. What holds us back from being totally objective is our brain, our physical and mental makeup, our background, and our education.

Thus, what purports to be a fact is not an absolute fact but what is perceived by the perceiver as to be true to his understanding.

Using the same measure, we can apply this idea to groups. Group A constantly spies on Group B and Group B does the same thing to Group A. When one of the groups catches the other’s spies, its adherents are outraged even though their group has been doing the same thing to the other group. Isn’t this reaction the result of the background and upbringing of that outraged group? Is that group's indignation reasonable and objective?

With all this chewing the fat, I still believe we can still try to be objective, unbiased, just, and not much influenced by our emotions and personal or group prejudices. At least, within our given capabilities.


© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/929175-Objectivity