*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/887410-Keep-Calm-and-Carry-On
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#887410 added July 14, 2016 at 4:08pm
Restrictions: None
Keep Calm and Carry On
PROMPT: The Wildcard Round! It is often said that history is written by the victorious. How true (or otherwise) do you believe this to be, and why?
          I believe many people associate the word victory with conquering and war; battles won, an enemy defeated, perceived wrongs righted. In this context, history is made and recorded. War is epic and memorable. According to a historical figure known as Napoleon Bonaparte, a French general famous enough to be quoted, " Victory belongs to the most persevering." On France's behalf, he never gave up. He was determined to impose French rule.
         During the second world war ,Britain issued victory posters intended to boost the morale of its citizens. The country known for its stiff upper lip was encouraged to ' Keep Calm and Carry On'. How difficult this must have been amidst the rationing of everything, blackouts, raids, and frequent bombing barrages.
         Allied countries held victory drives that permitted citizens to participate in the war effort in a meaningful, practical way. Bandages were made and rolled. Scrap metal was collected and recycled. Victory was a shared goal.
         The fight for human rights is an ongoing battle, but there have been victories. Equality is a word bantered about and debated. Women in Canada and the States had to demonstrate and persevere to win the right to vote. Minorities constantly strive for their rights. Each step in the process is a victory. Each victory becomes something upon which to build, and in the process its success is noted and recorded as history
.           This being said, everyone experiences victories in their own lives, each and every day. Life is chock full of challenges; illnesses, distractions, emotional baggage, relationship woes, financial difficulties, stress, job issues, minor annoyances, natural disasters, accidents, the weather. Managing to carry on, cope, and hopefully thrive is a victory. Never giving up, but continuing to try is a victory. Getting up each day and taking care of business is a victory. Meeting people, nurturing connections, supporting others, being optimistic enough to create families, all of this is a victory. Accepting challenges is a victory. I like this quote: " Happiness is not pleasure-- it is victory." Zig Ziglar was a wise man. Striving to be happy, and choosing to see the potential for good in people is a victory.

© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/887410-Keep-Calm-and-Carry-On