*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779914-S9A5--Restoration
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1923260
A collection of writings for House of Sensual Prose Romantica class.
#779914 added April 7, 2013 at 5:25am
Restrictions: None
S9A5: Restoration
Lynne’s stomach hurt as she sat in the back of the church trying to concentrate on the service. All she could wonder was what James and Stephanie talked about last night or worse what they did. She couldn’t even bring herself to look in the direction of where James was sitting. She had managed to avoid him and the rest of her family so far but she knew she wouldn’t be able to avoid them at dinner this afternoon. She was still very hurt that he even considered listening to what Stephanie had to say. Stephanie was always self-absorbed and more concerned about career advancement than she was about any relationship. A heartbroken James had said so himself when she walked out on him some twelve years ago. Lynne had often wondered if he would ever recover but he managed to get over her after a considerable amount of time. That’s why she just couldn’t understand why he wanted to revisit those old feelings with Stephanie unless he wasn’t over them yet. She quietly slipped out of the church before the service was complete to avoid seeing anyone.


Lynne had tears in her eyes as she drove to her mother’s house. She had to get herself together. She didn’t want her mother to know she and James were not speaking. Her mother would only worry and try to patch things up between them. Lynne just didn’t know if she was ready to talk to James…to possibly hear that he and Stephanie were getting back together. Lynne was thinking the worst and making herself miserable. As she pulled into her mother’s driveway and parked her car she blew her nose and dabbed at her moist eyes. She looked in the rear view mirror to see if her face was too red and puffy to go in the house yet. After sitting for a few moments she finally decided to go in and act as if nothing had happened.


“Hi Ma,” Lynne said trying to sound cheerful.


“You aren’t going to fool me Lynne. I know what has happened between you and James. He has been calling me all night.”


“Oh Ma,” Lynne cried bursting into tears. “I can’t believe this is happening. We were doing so well. Now I don’t know what is going to happen to us.”


“Well what you need to do is hear the man out. You need to hear his side of the story before you just completely dismiss him. He really does love you Lynne.”


“My head tells me that he loves me but my heart feels threatened by Stephanie. If anybody can come between us she can.”


“Nonsense.”


Just then Lynne’s sister Maureen walked in the room.


“You two must be talking about James,” Maureen said.


“You know what happened too,” Lynne asked stunned.


“Everybody knows. James has been on the phone all night talking to anyone who would listen. You need to straighten up and talk to your man. He’s really hurting right now just like you are. It doesn’t make any sense that two people who love each other like you and James do should be so miserable.”


“Oh,” Lynne sounded encouraged. “He’s really been talking about me all night?”


“Yes. So let’s get this dinner cooked so you two can spend some time together this afternoon.”


*****


James pulled up in the driveway of Lynne’s mother’s house. The butterflies tumbled in his stomach and his anxiety level was high. It looked as if most everyone was there already and he was nervous about seeing Lynne in front of them all. He didn’t know how she was going to react to him but he had to talk to her…to make her listen and understand that he loved her not Stephanie. Maurice came out of the house and called out to James.


“Hey man, come on in. Lynne’s here.”


James climbed out of the car and walked into the house. The house was full and lively. The table in the dining room was full of food. The smell of ham, prime rib, asparagus, macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes and green beans greeted James at the door. Children ran about the house in colorful outfits with their Easter baskets full of treats.


“James,” his father greeted him. “I was wondering if you would make it. You really had me worried.”


“I know Dad. I wasn’t sure if I was coming either. After not seeing Lynne at church I didn’t think she wanted to see me and I didn’t want to upset her.”


“Well, she’s here and the two of you need to talk. Whatever you do Son, don’t give up on true love.”


Just then Lynne walked into the room from the kitchen. She almost dropped the cake she was carrying when she saw James. James looked directly at her, took a deep breath and started walking toward her. His knees were jelly, his stomach was in knots and he was sweating profusely by the time he reached the table where she stood frozen.


“Hi Lynne,” James whispered softly. “Can we talk?”


“Sure James. We can go upstairs to the guest bedroom where it’s quiet.”


They climbed the stairs in silence. Lynne walked into the room and sat on the bed. James closed the door and sat down beside her.


“I’ve been going over and over what to say to you in my head all night. I just want you to know that I didn’t meet Stephanie last night. I just couldn’t do anything that would hurt you so much. I spent most of the night talking to whoever I could to get some perspective on why I would even want to meet with someone who brought my life so much turmoil at one time. Although I don’t know the answer to that I do know that I love you and I’m sorry for hurting you. Please forgive me Lynne.”


“Oh James,” Lynne cried as she wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his chest. “I’m sorry too. I didn’t mean to be so unreasonable. I was just jealous and afraid you might want Stephanie back.”


“No Lynne, I want you and only you.”


James tilted Lynne’s chin upward and gazing deep into her eyes, he kissed her softly at first and then with more hunger. Lynne responded by parting her lips allowing James to explore her inner depths. James delved into her as if he was exploring a hidden treasure. The passion that existed between them was a burning fire that engulfed them both. James slid his hands up and down the length of her arms, squeezing gently as he kissed her cheeks and neck. He wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her close. Breathless, James stood up and took Lynne by the hand until she stood next to him.


“I think we had better go back downstairs and let everyone know things are all right between us.”


“Yes. I’m so glad we worked things out. I love you James.”


“I love you too, baby.”


They left the room and walked back downstairs hand in hand to uproarious applause.


“Now the party can really start,” Maurice exclaimed.


Word Count: 1,199


© Copyright 2013 ErinLynn (UN: erinlynn1969 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ErinLynn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779914-S9A5--Restoration