*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/757696-Chapter-10
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1752853
Lyllian is forced to confront not only her prejudices, but also herself
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#757696 added August 2, 2012 at 6:18pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 10
Chapter 10:

Lyllian marveled out the window; the snow had retreated over the past few weeks as winter slipped into slumber, and the world began to become reborn anew. Gradually the mountains relinquished their white gowns from the bottom up, and the landscape was beginning to breathe life once again. She was on her way to the library when she heard commotion within the castle. Unable to ignore her curiosity, she found herself moving past the library and towards the disruption.


As she came down the staircase, she saw David greeting his brother. Dacien was cheerful as always, and greeted Lyllian with a friendly smile when he saw her. "My, you have grown since I last saw you!”

"How was your trip, Prince Dacien?" she said happily, with a smile on her face.


"Dacien. Lyllian, just call me Dacien," David began to reproach him, but Dacien cut him off and skillfully continued speaking as if he hadn’t heard, "It was fine, but I'm glad to be out of that carriage. You terrans are so inventive, but the carriage is one thing I think that needs to be improved upon," he said genially. Turning to David he continued on, “If you don't mind, I wouldn't mind a cup of hot cider and a warm fire. The journey was unpleasantly cold."


Lyllian's face brightened at the mention of hot spiced cider.


"Of course Dacien. Lyllian, if you will excuse us, we do have some matters to discuss that I'm sure would not interest you," his face was indecipherable, but Lyllian knew him well enough by now to know he was not happy.


"Oh, of course Lord Des'kar," she replied with marked disappointment as she began to excuse herself.


"Lyllian, if you would like some hot cider, I am sure David can have some brought up to your room," Dacien gently replied.


Lyllian's smile reappeared as she looked hopeful towards David, "Yes of course. I'll have it brought up to your room."


"Thank you Dacien!" Lyllian responded gleefully.


Lyllian ignored the undisguised scowl on David’s face as she gave a slight bow and retreated to the library, her mouth watering in anticipation of hot spiced cider.


* * *


"So what's troubling you David?" Dacien inquired empathetically as he warmed his hands by the fire.


In the privacy of his quarters, David dropped his impassive expression and began pacing the room as he habitually did when he was upset, "The girl frustrates me,” he muttered, "No matter what I do - well, you heard her!"


"You never take the time to engage with her on her level. There's always the veil of formality between you two.”
         

"Speaking of formality, your encouraging a lack there of needs to come to an end. Titles are there for a reason, and our position demands respect."


Dacien took a deep breath, "You can respect a position without a title. She's not one of your soldiers, David."


"No Dacien, you are wrong. Foregoing the title is a sign of disrespect, and I won't allow it."


“David, you don’t understand. It is evident that she is well aware of the dissimilarities between you two, and you constantly stress those differences and thus inadvertently have the opposite effect from what you intend. She probably feels frightened of the very idea of approaching you."


"Children are so irrational; she has no reason to feel frightened.”


"She has been raised to view you as her enemy, and it’s going to take time to undo her prejudices. Try and be patient and amiable towards her and she will see her prejudices were unjustified."


"I've tried being friendly, but she doesn't talk to me the same way she talks to you. You saw her blatant behavior when you arrived!"


"I’m telling you that this is going to require a different approach than what you’ve tried. You've put this wall of superiority in between you two that you need to tear down."


"Your solution is absurd, Dacien."


"Do what you will, I'm merely offering my advice."


*          *          *

David grudgingly carried up two cups of hot cider to Lyllian personally. He found her reading next to the small fire in her room as she frequently did on these long, chilly evenings. She stood and greeted him formally as he preferred.

"I thought you might want a second cup of hot cider."


"Oh, thank you Lord Des'kar," she said as she gratefully took one of the mugs from him.


"Do you mind if I join you?"


She hesitated before responding, "I only have the one chair."


"Its no problem, I can easily fetch one from one of the rooms next door," he returned momentarily with a second chair and positioned it next to the fire.

There was the usual awkward silence between the two before David finally broke the silence, "How are your studies going this evening?"

“Fine Lord Des’kar. How was your visit with your brother?”

“It went well; I always look forward to his visits.”

“You are very fortunate,” she said as she gazed into the reflection cast in her mug.

“You are unhappy?” he asked with genuine concern.

"Its nothing."

"Please, tell me what is bothering you."

“I...I just miss my family that is all, Lord Des’kar. Nothing you need to trouble yourself over.”

“I am sorry; I understand what it is to feel such a loss, to miss those you love. I can tell you from experience, however, that the pain will fade with time. Your feelings are normal, Lyllian, but it is important that you deal with these emotions and move on with your life. Do not become preoccupied with sorrow; people you care about will always come and go in your life.”

Lyllian softly blew air into her mug in a feeble attempt to cool it down. She watched her reflection disappear as ripples travelled across the small container and abruptly ended at the furthermost edge.  She sampled a small portion with her tongue before taking small sips of the hot beverage. David made no such moves to cool his beverage, but instead observed Lyllian as he enjoyed the warmth of the mug on his hands.

“Lyllian, there is something I would speak to you about.” 

A look of dread crossed her face.

“When we are in private, there is no need for such formality between us. For example, you don’t have to address me as Lord Des’kar, David will be sufficient,” he managed to hide his discomfort over the notion as he examined Lyllian’s reaction; her eyes were wide, and her heart rate had increased.

Although a simple request, Lyllian found it was difficult to carry it out. She looked at him dubiously before she cautiously uttered the name, “David.”

“Yes?”

“I don’t understand…”

“Does this make you uneasy? I thought it would help to improve relations between us and put you at ease. It is not my intention to make you uncomfortable.”

“I am just surprised. You seemed very intent about being addressed as Lord Des’kar.”

“Yes well, perhaps a little change would do me good, don’t you think?”

“I don’t want you to think I’m being disrespectful, Lord Des'kar.”

“David,” he patiently corrected.

“David,” she repeated after him, “I’m sorry, I think this will take some getting used to.”

“I understand, take all the time you need.”


*          *          *

The unpredictable patterns of spring gradually transitioned into unrelenting, blistering summer days. As the months went on, the heat of the summer slowly retreated and the green leaves once again melted into brilliant, fiery colors. Lyllian had now seen the landscape alter in every possible way with the passing seasons, though that was not the only thing that had changed, for as the scenery changed so had many of her perceptions of the world.

Lyllian continued to eagerly attend her studies, although some subjects she focused on more enthusiastically than others. As for Lyllian and David, attempts were made by both parties to improve relations between them, and they had come a long way from where they were at the start of the year.

The sun was setting earlier on these autumn days, Lyllian was out in the garden listening to the gentle rustle of the wind through the remaining leaves when she heard the call for supper. She closed her eyes once more inhaling the scent of the season before venturing inside for her customary meal.

She took her routine seat at the table, making polite conversation as she carefully arranged her napkin and evaluated the meal set forth before her. “Lyllian, how are your studies coming today?”

“Fine, thank you.”

“It was such a warm, sunny afternoon today; I suppose we shall not have many more of these before the cold sets in.”

She nodded in agreement,“ How was your afternoon, David?”

“Quite uneventful for a change.”

“No more complaints from the miller’s son?”

He smiled, “Thankfully no. I have to admit, I was happy to see his absence today.”

Lyllian carefully chewed each bite, carefully observing her manners, “When are you going into town next?”

“Are you itching to get out of the castle?”

The look on her face gave her away before she spoke, “I, I didn’t mean-“

He chuckled, “It’s alright, I’m sure you aren’t looking forward to being holed up here another winter. Perhaps if the weather holds out and nothing pressing arises we can venture out tomorrow.”

“Really? Oh thank you!”

They continued chattering amongst themselves over the course of the meal, until it was time for dessert. “Lyllian, I keep meaning to ask you, do you have a favorite dish?”

“A favorite dish?”

“From Sanavin.”

“Sanavin, my homeland…” she whispered to herself, “I suppose it was my homeland, but not my home anymore.”

“Lyllian?”

“I’m sorry, I um…I really like pies, we used to make apple or berry pies in the fall.”

“I take it you have a sweet tooth. Have you ever tried chocolate?”

“What is that?”

“It’s sweet, I think you will like it. I had some on one of my expeditions and was absolutely enamored with it.”

A servant soon produced a small, wooden box lined with expensive cloth. David reached in and pulled out a small brown block, “Try this, let it melt in your mouth and savor the taste.”

Slightly hesitant, she smelled it before putting it in her mouth and waited as he recommended. It was slightly bitter yet sweet as it dissolved in her mouth, becoming liquid silk on her tongue. “Well?” he asked expectantly. She nodded her head and smiled, still savoring the taste of this amazing treat. “Have another,” he offered.

Having concluded the last of their meal, they retired to their customary evening setting in the study where David wrote letters and Lyllian read or worked on her studies.
Contemplating how well the evening had gone so far, Lyllian thought now a good time to broach a subject she had contemplated discussing with David for numerous weeks. She stared at her book for several moments, her heart pumping in her ears as she silently rehearsed to herself what she was about to ask.

“David?”

He didn’t acknowledge the mention of his name and continued intently scribbling on his parchment as if he hadn’t heard. Lyllian was about to repeat his name when he slowly put his quill down and turned to face her, “Are you having trouble with your studies again?”

“No. I, I had a question I wished to ask, not related to my studies,” she said in fluent demarian.

“What is it you wish to ask me about?”

“I wanted to ask you about your vow, the one against the Fayleen family.”

“What more did you want to know about it?”

“I just wanted to know, well…”

“Yes?”

“Why can’t you just, you know, forget the whole vow thing?” the words weren’t coming out of her mouth as smoothly as they had been rehearsed in her mind moments before.

The tone in his voice grew dark, “Lyllian, you know my feelings on the matter. They aren’t going to change.”

“But…I don’t understand.”

“Would you break a promise to someone you hold near and dear to you?”

“No.”

“Neither will I.”

“You can’t just retract your vow?” she asked meekly.

“No.”

Lyllian looked away in an attempt to hide her pain and disappointment, “I guess there isn’t much more to discuss.”

“Lyllian…,” his voice softened, “I understand this is an important matter for you, and that you don’t completely comprehend my feelings on the matter, nor do you understand why I remain so steadfastly committed to my promise, but you must understand – I am a man of my word, and my sister was very important to me. I know you are upset that you aren’t hearing the answer you want, but would you rather I lie to you?”

She contemplated this a moment before responding, “I just…I feel there are better ways to go about things than to choose the path of destruction. You’ve made me see things differently, after all.”

He took a deep breath, “Look, I can’t in good conscious take back my vow, but I can promise you this – I won’t actively seek out an opportunity against the Fayleen family or Shastrua if I can help it.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I’m trying to compromise with you, Lyllian, without compromising my honor.”

“But…“

“I have promised you I won’t actively seek out vengeance. If by some miracle it presents itself to me, then of course I’ll take the opportunity; however, you know Sanavin, Lyllian. They embrace their isolation and rarely venture from their homelands since their last great defeat nearly 150 years ago. The odds of an opportunity landing on my doorstep are practically nonexistent.”

Lyllian contemplated the irony of his words as she considered them carefully. “Of course, you are right,” she replied as she concluded it was in her own best interests to drop the subject permanently.



**Author's Notes**

I got to a point with this where its kind of a dull area. Necessary for the story to move forward, but not that exciting to write about. Probably why its taken me over a year to finally finish the chapter. I eventually realized I needed to just sit down and start writing and plow through it. I hope, in my effort to gloss over what could be some potentially very boring parts I didn't move forward too quickly and was still able to capture some key elements.
At this point, I'm more excited for writing the next book in the series rather than finish up this one. My husband tells me he thinks the second book is more exciting anyway(I have the epilogue penned out and a rough draft of a few chapters), but I'm still determined to finish this one. The next few chapters I think will be much more fun.
© Copyright 2012 Nebu10us (UN: nebu10us at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Nebu10us has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/757696-Chapter-10