*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730297-Blau-Blau-Blau
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#730297 added August 1, 2011 at 8:08am
Restrictions: None
Blau, Blau, Blau
Blau, Blau, Blau

It is hot and muggy… the ceiling fan is going and we have no air conditioning. Tonight I wish we did. Most nights it cools down and there is a breeze that makes sleeping a delight.

Today I practiced on my welding. The metal I am using doesn’t seem to want to flow right. If I use a small tip I can’t get a puddle. If I use the next size up I burn through. This is thin sheet metal I’m working with and the coupons I am welding do not seem to be behaving like the ones being demonstrated at the show. I will have to ask Mark is there is something I need to know about his sheet metal vs. mine.

After lunch I came inside and updated my course pages for the One Act Play. I also filled out the course survey from the schedule I have prepared. Tomorrow I will do the same for the Lesson Plans.

My daughter called and told me her boys have the same warped sense of humor I subjected her and her sister to when they were little. It was a cornball humor that played on the hidden meaning of words. Some of these words had a nasty undertone. She said that eating at “Cox’s” barbeque and shopping at “Dick’s” Sporting Goods got them started and when they got to the sporting goods store, her youngest piped up and said, “Lets go look at the balls.” My daughter is pretty straight laced and doesn’t encourage them but her husband is a soldier and eggs them on. I think she was disappointed that she never had a daughter she could hang out and do girly things with.

My friend Gary came by. He was an aircraft mechanic and retired last week. He told me about his adventures in Alaska and his career working on Aircraft. He tried his hand with the welder and had the same difficulty gas welding that I was experiencing and commented on the metal’s tendency to resist flowing.

Linda came home and I was glad to see her. It will take her a day or two to unwind. In December she will be retiring and won’t have to work every weekend. I know she finds it harder and harder to work the long hours and I’ll be glad when she can hang it up. In a way it will be a shame because she is such a good nurse and her coworkers all acknowledge her contribution.

I think I’ll read my welding book. That should put me to sleep in short order. I used to read Clausewitz, On War, while in the military to achieve the same purpose. That is one boring book that goes on for pages talking about things that I doubt people cared much about then and care less about now. Then suddenly he will hit a vein of pure gold and go on for a couple of pages. Most books are like that I guess. You read and read…. blau blau blau and then stumble onto a nugget or two. That makes the whole process worthwhile. I wonder what it would be like to read a book full of nothing but nuggets…

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730297-Blau-Blau-Blau