*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/724295-Tender
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#724295 added May 19, 2011 at 1:11pm
Restrictions: None
Tender
After a week of almost solid rain, a soft morning sun crept through the cracks in the blinds and spilled over the Shepard sleeping on the end of their bed. He had heard the old dog sneak in during the night, felt her settle down by his feet. Maxie knew the bed was off limits but it had been storming and her fear had over-ridden her natural desire to obey. Nicholas hadn't the heart to chase her out and had moved his body to accommodate the gentle interloper. He sat up now and stretched, startling Maxie, who raise her big ears in alarm.

"You're fine lady," Nicholas whispered, reaching down and petting her affectionately. Exonerated, she dropped back down into her slumber.

Moira's side of the bed was empty. He glanced at the bedside clock. 7:15am, a bit late for a run. They had made a habit of sleeping in on Sunday. He sat up and listened, she wasn't in the shower either. Puzzled, Nicholas dragged himself up, shrugged into his bathrobe and padded out of the bedroom to look for his wife. The kitchen was empty, the coffee pot was dry and there no tell-tale pulsing lights to indicate someone had begun brewing a pot. He resisted the urge to call out for her, knowing she had to be somewhere in their tiny home. It took him a few more seconds to notice the glass slider to the deck was open. A feeling of uneasiness washed over him and for a moment, he stood still, unwilling to move past the door.

"Moira?" He called, the mere tone of his voice summoning Maxie who immediately fell in beside him. When Nicholas stepped through and onto the deck, the dog went with him. They made it halfway across the wide deck before they saw her, lying face down in the kidney-shaped pool, the red fabric of her nightgown looking like an ugly stain on the still surface of the water.




© Copyright 2011 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/724295-Tender