*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/702643-Sweltering-in-Las-Vegas
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1649240
Gratitude breaks the spell of Writers Block
#702643 added July 29, 2010 at 11:47pm
Restrictions: None
Sweltering in Las Vegas
Word count: 503

It is hot and humid in Las Vegas. This is monsoon season, all though we do not get real monsoons. Sometimes wind accompanies the rain, but not always. We do get windstorms, not usually accompanied by rain. It does flood here; in fact, we get some bad floods.

A few years ago, it was common for floods to close down the Charleston Underpass. This is no longer a common occurrence because the city, county, or whoever is responsible for flood control work fixed the problem. At least, I think they fixed the problem. We have not had a one-hundred year flood in the twenty-first century yet.

We did have a one-hundred year flood in the twentieth century. I remember that one. I remember trying to drive home through flooded streets. All right, I will admit that was not very bright. Fortunately, I got home safely, but only because God was watching over me. They say wisdom comes with years and this is true as long as experience accompanies the wisdom.

After sixty-three years, I realize that most of the wisdom I have acquired comes from experience. Anyway, back to the subject of sweltering in Las Vegas. We had a lot of rain in January and February before the start of monsoon season, but we have not had much rain lately.

Clouds are plentiful. Humidity is high. The weather is hot. The rain, when it does rain, is more like a spit bath then a rain shower. It rained in my neighborhood a few days ago. I woke up, looked out the window, and noticed that my driveway was wet. That was the extent of the rain. It was not an official rain shower because it did not rain at the Airport.

The intriguing thing about Las Vegas is the size of the city. It can rain in one section of the city and not in another. It can flood in one section of the city and not in another. If it does not rain at the airport then the rain is not official.

The rain earlier in the year was not enough. We are in a drought and we need more rain. Not only do we need more rain now, we need snow this coming winter. We need enough snow to help relieve the drought next spring when the snow melts.

Las Vegas means The Wells. Las Vegas is part of a desert. Las Vegas was one of the places Native Americans stopped for water in their desert travels. On their way to California, early settlers stopped in Las Vegas.

I am attempting to remember what I learned in a Nevada history course some years ago. I think the best thing for me to do is research early Las Vegas. That would help me remember some of what I learned in the class. Maybe I need to see some of the historic places in Las Vegas and the surrounding areas. This city has other attractions besides the Las Vegas Strip and Down Town.

© Copyright 2010 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/702643-Sweltering-in-Las-Vegas