*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/643828-Condiments-of-the-house
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #1469467
Welcome to Whatsit's Wild World.
#643828 added April 4, 2009 at 10:26pm
Restrictions: None
Condiments of the house
Sam took the kids with him to a church event, and I actually got out it. I have cleaned up the house all day, and I was tired, so that got me out of having to go. Whenever the other members of my family are off doing something, I have this bad habit of taking off to do something to suit myself. That is my Sanity Preservation Strategy Number One. Tonight, although I WAS physically tired, my reluctance to go was more of a not wanting to be around a crowd of people. The thought of having to make conversations was more than I could emotionally handle. Although I didn't saythat out loud - even making an explanation was too much trouble. Especially to my extrovert husband who thrives on being around people.

Tonight I went to Chick-Fil-A for a chicken sandwich before going to the bookstore. At Chick-fil-A I went through the drive-through. Now, there's something about the Chick-Fil-A employees that gets me. Every one of them does it - it must be part of their training. They always want to know if I need any "condiments." Who in the world says "condiments" in natural conversation? For some reason, even though this is a tiny thing, it kills me for them to say this. It just sounds so phony for them to say "Would you care for any condiments? " Tonight I was feeling giddy from just having recovered from being sick, as well as getting rid of my family. Plus I have a naughty streak. I responded "No, I practice safe chicken sandwich eating."

Which was the stupidest thing anybody in the world could have said. I mean, my little dumb dog could have thought up a better comeback than that. But the woman almost fell out of the drive-through window laughing. It gave me the big-head that she thought it was so funny. Because as soon as it came out of my mouth, I got embarrassed at myself. I couldn't think of anything better to say than that? I must be getting old - I get cornier by the year.

Oh, and who elseo does this? I got home before Sam did. So, naturally, I took my books and put them on the shelf right quick where he wouldn't notice that I had bought anything. Not that he would say anything about it - well, he may and he may not - but what he doesn't know won't hurt him, right? Some things are for me to know and for him not to find out. I have done this with clothes too - just slid them in the closet. Even when I put them on, he doesn't tend to notice because I buy such nondescript clothing. I just wondered how other people handle the not-wanting-the-spouse-to-see-what-they-bought thing.

© Copyright 2009 Mrs. Whatsit (UN: mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mrs. Whatsit has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/643828-Condiments-of-the-house